THE OUTSIDERS ESCAPE ROOM NOVEL ACTIVITY: Help your students review plot, character, poetry, and vocabulary in The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton with this highly-engaging interactive escape room activity!
HOW IT WORKS
Students work in small groups and move about the classroom to five different stations to complete puzzles and activities.
In the first station, they will order plot points according to the plot diagram to determine a numeric code.
In the second station, they will match up quotes to characters and use the information they gather to reveal a secret code word.
In the third station, students will do a close reading of "Nothing Gold Can Stay" by Robert Frost (a poem featured in the novel)
In the fourth station, students work together to match up new vocabulary words from examples in the novel to their proper definition (using context clues). Once they have matched them up correctly, it will reveal a mystery word.
The final station has students decode an encryption based on hidden symbols they have to find throughout the game to reveal a quote from the novel!
Please note that students will need to have completed the novel to complete this activity. They should also have an understanding of figurative language (for the poetry activity). The terms they should be familiar with are metaphor, simile, alliteration, onomatopoeia, personification, allusion, hyperbole.
INCLUDED IN YOUR PURCHASE
• Detailed teacher instructions for setting up the room and facilitating the activity
• A classroom door sign to welcome students to the activity
• Signs for each of the five stations
• Student instructions for each of the five stations
• All the materials students need for each station (envelope templates, plot cards, character cards, poetry close read assignment, vocabulary puzzle, encryption assignment)
• A student answer booklet where the group can record the codes and keys they find.
• A teacher answer key you can use to check the work to determine the winner.
• Two reflection assignments to complete after the escape room. One is a reflection on the quote revealed in the final puzzle and the other is a reflection on the escape room activity.
Like This Resource? Click The Link Below To See More Outsiders Resources By Presto Plans
THE OUTSIDERS COMPLETE UNIT PLAN
© Presto Plans
★CLICK HERE TO RECEIVE 10 FREE ENGLISH TEACHER RESOURCES!