This unit plan for The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton has everything you will need to teach the novel. With over 300 pages/slides of eye-catching powerpoints, printable assignments, questions, vocabulary, and interactive class activities, you will have everything you need!
TEACHER FEEDBACK ON THIS UNIT:
♥ I love how clear and concise are each lesson. I love how the lessons can be modified to my special needs kids and also with the honors kids. They creativity section leaves room for kids to express themselves. This is one of my best purchases.
♥ Excellent resource! Easy to follow, activities that will make the students think and enjoy the book! This is one of the best resources I have ever purchased on TpT. THANKS!!!
♥ This is an awesome literature plan for the Outsiders. It worked great with my other materials and in fact I liked it better than my old plans and so did the students. Thank you for all your hard work and making my life easier.
♥ I bought another novel study for a different book at the same time as this one and all I keep thinking is: why couldn't it have been more like yours? Very thorough and so easy to use. It practically teaches the novel for me!
♥ A comprehensive resource that was definitely worth the money! Thank you for all of the time and effort you put into creating this!
♥ I loved this resource!!! It was very helpful when planning and I used practically all of the material in some way! Very thorough! I will be buying more from this seller! Great job! Thank you!
INCLUDED IN YOUR PURCHASE (Click Titles For More Information):
INTRODUCTION TO THE OUTSIDERS:
This 17 slide Powerpoint introductory presentation includes pre-reading discussion questions and activities, author’s biography, fun whole-class quiz, and background information on the novel.
CHAPTER SUMMARY CARDS:
Includes printable cards that you can keep handy for those students who struggle with reading comprehension. They can also be useful if a student is looking for a particular part of the plot. They can check the summary cards to find the correct chapter!
READING COMPREHENSION QUIZZES:
Includes 6 Reading quizzes that include 6 multiple choice questions and 2 quotes from the novel. Students need to explain what is happening at this particular point in the plot based on the quote. This eliminates cheating, since students will have had to read the actual text (not just an online summary) to find the answers. A detailed answer key for each quiz is included
VOCABULARY PRESENATION & BOOKLET:
• A Powerpoint presentation explaining to students how to determine the meaning of an unknown word using context.
• An Outsiders Vocabulary Booklet for students with quotes from the novel that use challenging vocabulary. Students use context to determine the meaning of the bolded word. There is also a place for the actual definition to be inserted.
• A 27 Slide Powerpoint presentation to go over each of the vocabulary words with synonyms/definitions for students to easily understand the new terms (organized by chapter sets)
• A ready-to-print set of reading questions that include basic comprehension questions, ‘Digging Deeper’ questions, and literary devices questions.
• A 58 Slide Powerpoint presentation that includes all the answers to the questions for easy review with the whole class.
• A literary devices handout that students can use as a reference to answer the questions.
• A 26 Slide Powerpoint presentation to go over the notes with your students for each of the sets of chapters. The notes include information on Setting, Characterization, Theme, Plot etc.
EXPLORING STEREOTYPES CLASS ACTIVITY:
Students will examine a variety of images around the classroom and will complete independent questions that will elicit stereotypical responses. With their group they will discuss their answers and examine their own stereotypes. This is always an eye-opener for students and it helps them empathize with the characters in the novel.
SOCS VS GREASERS ACTIVITY:
Use this class activity to engage your students in exploring the similarities and differences between the Socs and Greasers.
EXPLORING THE THEME OF IDENTITY ACTIVITY:
Students examine what groups they identify with and complete a fun assignment which gets them to investigate their own stereotypes, misconceptions etc.
NOTHING GOLD CAN STAY CLASS ACTIVITY
Use this class activity to engage your students in exploring the meaning and theme of Robert Frost's poem Nothing Gold Can Stay as found in in S. E. Hinton's novel The Outsiders! This is intended for use after Chapter 5 - 6, but could be used at any point in the novel.
FUN AND CREATIVE PRINTABLE ASSIGNMENTS
• Chapter 1 Character Study (With Detailed Answer Key)
• Character Facebook Page
• Newsworthy Assignment (Creating a front page newspaper for the novel)
• Chapter 11 "Wanted" Poster Assignment (Includes planning sheet and good copy sheet)
• Golden Quotations Assignment (Students find important quotations from the novel and explain their significance)
• The Outsiders Movie/Novel Comparison Sheet
• The Outsider Movie Review Sheet
PLOT DIAGRAM ASSIGNMENT
Use this assignment as a way for students to review the plot line of the novel. Included in your purchase is a blank student version of the plot diagram for them to fill out, as well as a detailed teacher copy/answer key.
TATTOO A GREASER ASSIGNMENT
Have students give a greaser two tattoos and explain their reasons with support from the text! Students will be required to show an understanding of symbolism as the tattoos must relate in some way to the greaser's personality or a theme that develops in the reading.
The Outsiders Interview Activity
Students write a transcript of the interview Ponyboy gives to the reporters based on the newspaper article from the novel!
OUTSIDERS VIDEO JOURNALS:
For every second chapter, students will watch a youtube video related to the themes or ideas from those chapters. They will use the prompt to write a personal journal. Students love these videos!
Essay Writing Resources
→ The Outsiders Essay Topics
→ Double sided MLA formatting guidebook (requires double sided photocopying)
→ 2 Essay writing graphic organizers
© Presto Plans
Click HERE To Sign Up For 2 Weeks Of FREE English Bell Ringers