As a teacher, I strive to encourage my students to care about the world in which they live. I want them to have a desire to know what is going on around them and why these things are occurring. In addition, I want my students to think about their place in the world. Question the mark they will leave and how they will get there. For a middle school student, this might be one of the most difficult tasks asked of them. This project is geared to help students do just that.
Working in groups, students will plan, write, record, edit and publish a podcast. This podcast will be student driven with the only requirements being they have 1 fictional story (poetry or prose), 1 local story, 1 national story and 1 international story. Each member of the group will have a say in the stories begin produced, but will be responsible for heading up 1 particular part of the podcast. The hope is that students begin to think of others, creating compassion and empathy through current events and education.
Included in this packet:
• What is a podcast introduction activity
• Personal podcast listening assignment
• Podcast group planning worksheet
• Podcast research, script planning and writing
• Podcast recording and editing instructions with helpful links
• Podcast personal grading evaluation rubric