Gary Paulsen's novel THE RIFLE is a quick read, and these quizzes allow the students to show their reading comprehension with only brief pauses for a one page quiz.
I have broken up the first chapter, "The Weapon," into three parts for the sake of the quizzes. Included in this study are the following:
- Five one page quizzes - three for the chapter titled "The Weapon," one for "The Child," and one for the combination of "The Joining" and "The Rifle." Quizzes have ten or twelve items each.
Quiz styles are True/False; Multiple Choice (choose from three items); Cause/Effect; Identify Which Person; and Sequence
- QUIZ ANSWERS ARE INCLUDED
- Ten Task Card WRITE/DISCUSS prompts are here - two for each quiz section; two additional Task Card writing prompts are included for Post-Novel. These align with CCSS Writing: W1, 2, & 3.
- I added a log for tracing the owners of the gun and details about their ownership
- A puzzle page gives early finish students an activity: a word search and a word scramble for rifle terms.
- An Essential Question on a special writing page is here, which has the prompt and lines for students to respond. It involves a poetry quote and theme comparison.
Please see Preview for some sample quiz pages.
Check out my other Paulsen novel units:
CALL ME FRANCIS TUCKET