A novel study for The Sign of the Chrysanthemum by Katherine Paterson: Students learn a lot about the culture of medieval Japan as they read, answering questions and analyzing. Included are -
- a Quick Quiz for each chapter (or usable as exit tickets) - each quiz being one of six different styles, five items each:
True/False, multiple choice, identifying the person or place, fill-in-the-blanks, and cause/effect, sequence.
- Summary/Reading Comprehension Questions for chapter blocks: Ch. 1 to 4; Ch. 5 to 9; Ch. 10 to 14; Ch. 15 to 18.
- Vocabulary study worksheets
- Task Cards with writing and discussion topics (8)
- Haiku instructions and templates for students to write their poems and color items on the page (2 versions)
Aligns with CCSS, ELA R 1, 2, 3, 4, 6; W 1, 2, 4
See Preview for some sample quizzes and summary questions.
For another novel unit set in Japan, click here:
MASTER PUPPETEER by Katherine Paterson