Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Our Watsons Go to Birmingham Unit Teaching Package has 196+ pages and slides of engaging activities. Learners will enjoy the rigor and creativity in these standards-aligned resources built from best practices.
NOVEL: THE WATSONS GO TO BIRMINGHAM by Christopher Paul Curtis
LEVEL: 4th - 8th
TOTAL: 196 slides/pages
Pacing Guide and Answer Keys included
Perfect novel to teach during Black History Month.
Save $$$ and buy the bundle. »»» Print Version »»» Digital-only Version (coming soon...) »»» Combo Version (coming soon...)
What other teachers are saying about this literature unit:
♥ I really love this whole unit! You did a fabulous job. It's exactly what I was looking for. My students are doing really well with it! Thanks for sharing your hard work!
♥ This is amazing! Materials ready to implement, and create an amazing opportunity for the students to connect with the text! Thank you :)
♥ Wow! I am so excited to start using this unit with my fifth graders. Thank you for such a thorough and practical resource!
♥ This looks great and matches well with Common Core - can't wait to use next year!
♥ AWESOME UNIT - You covered just about everything!!! Thanks!
♥ This package was just what I needed!!! Highlight of the package was the figurative language part!! 10 thumbs up. Awesome job!
»»» MEETS COMMON CORE STANDARDS «««
LITERATURE PLAN CONTENTS:
- answer thematic questions to get students thinking about the novel
- 1-page activity
··· KWL Organizer Chart for Notetaking
- notetaking tool of what they "K"now, "W"ant to know, & "L"earned
- 1-page handout
- organize the 6 parts of the plot
- 1-page organizer & answer key
- Students analyze the 6 different types of conflict in stories
- 2-page organizer & answer key
- analyze the main characters using novel quotes
- 5-page organizer
- analyze the main settings using novel quotes
- 1-page organizer
- Students analyze the 6 different symbols in the story
- 8-page organizer
- 1/2 writing assignments to spur much deeper conversational thinking
- 25-question PowerPoint
- We set out to make the most helpful, most compelling, most graphically attractive teaching resource for you to introduce your learners to all the various figurative language. This 70+ slide PowerPoint will help you introduce how every many you need to teach your level of learners.
- analyze and complete 64 figures of speech specific to the novel
- 8-page bundle (2 parts)
- Similes, Metaphors, Idioms, Hyperboles, Analogies, Personification, Onomatopoeia, Puns, Symbols
- a 5-question pop quiz per 1 chapter
* 30-slides of PowerPoint Quizzes
* 30-pages of Printable Quizzes
- The purpose of these is so students who read the chapters recently would ace the quiz and students who didn't read recently would not do well.
- 60 vocabulary words from the novel
- two 30-question lists & quizzes
- 8-page Bundle includes list of words, quiz, and answer keys
- 3 persuasive essay options for students to choose from; optional delivery of essay as a speech
- Includes essay and speech grading rubrics
- 6-page bundle
- 2-page Worksheet
- Students compare & contrast the movie and novel
*** 196 pages / slides total ***
Enjoy The Watsons Go to Birmingham!
»»» OTHER THE WATSONS GO TO BIRMINGHAM AWESOMENESS
> Digital 1:1 Complete Unit (coming soon...)»»»
> Digital-Print Combo Unit (coming soon...)»»»
»»» OUR VAST NOVEL UNIT LIBRARY:
> We've got 35+ more complete novel units for you, ready to save you precious time and sanity so you can have your life back to do what you do best ... teach!
»»» POETRY UNITS:
»»» Bored w/ Teaching GRAMMAR?
> Introduce your learners to The Grammar Ninjas!