Your learners will enjoy the rigor and creativity of our engaging activities built from best teaching practices. We want to make your lesson planning journey easy, so you can focus on your expertise. This novel study includes a curriculum map pacing guide that offers our day-by-day suggestion for how to plan out your weeks of lessons. Our pedagogy section explains the instructive idea behind the activity, gives ideas for implementation, and aligns it to the standards. We've filmed some training videos on (1) how to assemble a Novel Analysis Packet that is unique to the academic needs of your learners and (2) how to effectively use our Quickwrite writing prompts.
TEXT: THE WATSONS GO TO BIRMINGHAM by Christopher Paul Curtis
LEVEL: 4th - 8th
TOTAL: 196 slides/pages
→ Pacing Guide and Answer Keys included
→ Perfect novel to teach during Black History Month.
WHAT OTHER TEACHERS ARE SAYING ABOUT THIS LITERATURE RESOURCE
♥ I really love this whole unit! You did a fabulous job. It's exactly what I was looking for. My students are doing really well with it! Thanks for sharing your hard work!
♥ This is amazing! Materials ready to implement, and create an amazing opportunity for the students to connect with the text! Thank you :)
♥ Wow! I am so excited to start using this unit with my fifth graders. Thank you for such a thorough and practical resource!
♥ This looks great and matches well with Common Core - can't wait to use next year!
♥ AWESOME UNIT - You covered just about everything!!! Thanks!
♥ This package was just what I needed!!! Highlight of the package was the figurative language part!! 10 thumbs up. Awesome job!
LITERATURE PLAN CONTENTS
→ Suggested timeline of how a teacher could plan out the unit
→ Detailed explanations of the goals of each activity and how to conduct the activities
→ Meets Common Core Standards
→ Easy to differentiate for different learning levels: Honors, 2nd language learners, and Sped
- answer thematic questions to get students thinking about the novel
- 1-page activity
- notetaking tool of what they "K"now, "W"ant to know, & "L"earned
- 1-page handout
- organize the 6 parts of the plot
- 1-page analyzer & answer key
- Students analyze the 6 different types of conflict in stories
- 2-page analyzer & answer key
- analyze the main characters using novel quotes
- 5-page analyzer
- analyze the main settings using novel quotes
- 1-page organizer
- Students analyze the 6 different symbols in the story
- 8-page analyzer
- We set out to make the most helpful, most compelling, most graphically attractive teaching resource for you to introduce your learners to all the various figurative language. This 70+ slide PowerPoint will help you introduce how every many you need to teach your level of learners.
- analyze and complete 64 figures of speech specific to the novel
- 8-page bundle (2 parts)
- Similes, Metaphors, Idioms, Hyperboles, Analogies, Personification, Onomatopoeia, Puns, Symbols
- 1/2 writing assignments to spur much deeper conversational thinking
- 25-question slideshow
- a 5-question pop quiz per 1 chapter
* 30-slides of slideshow Quizzes
* 30-pages of Printable Quizzes
- The purpose of these is so students who read the chapters recently would ace the quiz and students who didn't read recently would not do well.
- 60 vocabulary words from the novel
- two 30-question lists & quizzes
- 8-page Bundle includes list of words, quiz, and answer keys
- 3 persuasive essay options for students to choose from; optional delivery of essay as a speech
- Includes essay and speech grading rubrics
- 6-page bundle
- 2-page activity
- Students compare & contrast the movie and novel
Enjoy! And remember, changing the law of the land does not always change the way people behave.
OTHER THE WATSONS GO TO BIRMINGHAM JOURNEYS
OUR VAST NOVEL UNIT LIBRARY
→ We've got 35+ more complete novel units for you, ready to save you precious time and sanity so you can have your life back to do what you do best ... teach!
Bored w/ Teaching GRAMMAR?
→ Introduce your learners to The Grammar Ninjas!