I use this with 10th grade pre-ap and grade level students. You can do this as a timed writing or as short answers. I have included a variety of ways to plan and grade this assignment. I focus on the theme of how people manipulate others to achieve their own ends.
Here's what's included:
1. Planning page with no hints (could be used for any theme)
2. Planning page that is fill in the blank (for struggling students and focuses on manipulation)
3. A rubric for the paper that's easy to use (could be used for any theme)
4. If you prefer short answers, I have four questions about how different characters manipulate throughout Act 1 to Act 3. I have my classes that struggle with writing do the short answers instead of a paper. I find that the quality is better. I tell them they need to choose 3 out of four manipulation topics to write a short answer. My classes use the HOLT textbook. I put page number hints on the short answers where the manipulation occurs or you could delete that.
5. A detailed short answer rubric is also included
6. An example of a short answer for how Caesar manipulates the Romans when he denies the crown is also included.