Also included in
- This step-by-step reading comprehension skills bundle has original and engaging ideas that resonate with students, so they can form a deeper understanding of each reading skill. All of the units are designed with visuals, activities, practice, and graphic organizers to use with any story. There are$45.99$52.92Save $6.93
This Step-by-Step THEME unit is a complete, NO-Prep unit with a variety of activities to help students learn effective reading comprehension skills. Identifying a theme within a story is no longer a difficult task for students. The unit uses a scaffolding approach through several skills so students get a thorough understanding of the theme. There are anchor charts, interactive pages, and practice pages for all of the following.
★ STORY ELEMENTS
★ MAIN IDEA
For distance learning: There 3 separate student PDFs according to reading levels. (Be careful not to put them on a public website. For copyright purposes, websites need to be password protected)
1. If you want students to write directly on a PDF and don't have a program with that capability, they can open it with dochub. It is free and a dropdown option when opening in Google. Students will need to provide an email.
2. Make an image or screenshot of the page/pages you want students to complete and have them create a textbox to write over top of it. The images can be placed in google slides. Directions on how to just send parts of a PDF to students. Click HERE.
Students will first get a solid grasp of identifying story elements, summarizing, main idea, topic, and lesson. Then theme will make more sense to them. The unit was created for 4th grade CCSS RL 4.2, but works well in other grade levels since there are passages with THREE DIFFERENT READING LEVELS FOR DIFFERENTIATION ranging from Lexile levels 610-810 (Grade levels 3-5).SEE A COMPLETE PREVIEW OF ALL THE PAGES to see if it will work for your students.
WHAT WILL YOU FIND IN THIS NO-PREP THEME UNIT?
1. DAY-BY-DAY LESSON PLANS
2. MENTOR TEXT SUGGESTIONS
3. MODELED EXAMPLES
4. LISTS OF EXAMPLES FOR TOPICS, LESSONS, THEMES
5. ANCHOR CHARTS FOR THE SKILLS PRESENTED
6. INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK PRINTABLES - 3 VERSIONS FOR DIFFERENTIATION WHEN TAKING NOTES - Notes written out, sentence frames (fill-in-the-blank), and write it your own notes.
8. STUDENT PRACTICE PAGES FOR ALL SKILLS
9. 9 STORY EXAMPLES SHOWING SUMMARIZING, MAIN IDEA, TOPIC, LESSON, AND THEME.
10. 2 BLANK GRAPHIC ORGANIZERS FOR ANY TEXT
11. BOOK RESPONSE PAGE FOR ANY TEXT
12. 24 TASK CARDS SCAFFOLDING THE SKILLS
13. 3 PASSAGES WITH 3 LEVELS OF DIFFERENTIATE GRADE LEVELS. 9 QUESTIONS AND A WRITING PROMPT. THESE CAN BE USED FOR PRACTICE, MORE PRACTICE, HOMEWORK, ASSESSMENT, RETEST
14. TRACKING FORM
15. STUDENT EDITIONS- perfect to send electronically to students. These are great for DISTANCE LEARNING and AT HOME LEARNING!
VERSION 1- LEXILE LEVELS 610 (Gr. 3)
VERSION 2- LEXILE LEVELS 710 (Gr. 4)
VERSION 3- LEXILE LEVELS 810 (Gr. 5)
Thank you for visiting my store!
MORE STEP-BY-STEP READING RESOURCES