Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
6.34 MB | 5 pages
In this package you will find 5 boards for:
I have developed these boards for Intervention and they work particularly well for individual kids. I have refined the board design over the years and I am very happy with this one, so I have included it in my store. You will need to laminate the boards and I use an erasable crayon because it wipes off so easily and cleanly.
It is an individual activity where a student is timed to track the multiples from stepping stone to stepping stone. You might be amazed at how quickly kids can learn this sequence while they are trying to improve their times. This is the method I use:
1. Learn the sequence of multiples (using Stepping Stones).
2. Test by getting them to write the sequence.
3. Say the sequence - block one, two or three multiples with your fingers to stimulate memory skills.
4. Link the sequence of multiples to fingers - say the multiple as the student displays fingers, e.g., 7x4 is seven fingers up and then say the sequence.
I have also had students who can skip Step 4 and link the number fact to the multiple almost immediately (especially when they know the easier number facts in a table).
While this method may not work for all kids, it is amazing when it works because students can learn the whole table in an hour. It's worth a try when nothing else is working efficiently. It requires one hour of one-on-one intervention and group consolidation for long-term memory retrieval.
Your group consolidation could be:
- Games in a Maths Centre (The Grid Game, Monkey Multiples, Master of Multiples, etc.)
- a quick game at the beginning or end of an Intervention Session (The Grid Game is the best game for this application)
- Bingo, especially with the whole class where you can use groups and place your learners with more skilled players and share the counters between them.
You will find all these games (and more) in my store: