Are you On the Road to setting your students up for success on the rigorous TNReady Assessment? Use this bundle of 50 TNReady aligned questions + passages and 5 motivational/ inspiring bell ringers to get students mentally and academically prepared for the 6-8th grade TNReady ELA Assessment.
Provide students with familiarity to the new TNReady test throughout the year while reinforcing and remediating key skills students in middle grades need to be successful in ELA.
See a Video Overview of the Bundle Here: https://youtu.be/0pWUM1ZeK5M
This bundle includes a 73-slide PPT & 22-page student “Log Book” to record annotate passages and answer questions
The theme throughout is being “On the Road” to success:
• Mechanical Breakdowns = Grammar/ Language Questions
• Changing Gears = Motivational Bell Ringers w/ Videos & Written Reflections
• Link to the Passage = Questions aligned to literary or informational passages
• Key to Unlocking Meaning = A new literary or informational passage; referring to the passage is “key” to answering questions
For every question, distractors are explained, the correct answer is provided, and a thorough explanation of why the answer is correct is included. Questions stems, answer choices, and distractors are aligned to all available questions from MICA for TNReady.
73 Slide PPT: 2 overview slides, 10 teacher slides (with standard, links to questions/passages, question type, and answers) in easy to read chart, 50 question slides, 8 passages (directly aligned to TNReady), and 5 motivations video + writing slides.
22-Page Student Log Book provided as a Word & PDF. A teacher copy with correct answers, explanations, and main idea annotations provided. Students annotate all passages, record and justify all correct answers, and compose written reflections to the motivation questions.
This video overview includes the following information:
These questions will specifically get students ready for the reading portion of the TNReady test taken in April.
Note that the standards largely reflect 7th grade standards. This set of bell ringers uses passages from all grade levels and lines of questioning used across grades. This bundle is appropriate for all middle grades.
The standards included are (these are aligned to TNReady and the national Common Core Assessment):
• RI.7.1: Cite several pieces of textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
• RI.7.2: Determine two or more central ideas in a text and analyze their development over the course of the text; provide an objective summary of the text.
• RI.7.3: Analyze the interactions between individuals, events, and ideas in a text (e.g., how ideas influence individuals or events, or how individuals influence ideas or events).
• RI.7.4: Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative, connotative, and technical meanings; analyze the impact of a specific word choice on meaning and tone.
• RI.7.5: Analyze the structure an author uses to organize a text, including how the major sections contribute to the whole and to the development of the ideas.
• RI.7.6: Determine an author's point of view or purpose in a text and analyze how the author distinguishes his or her position from that of others.
• RI.7.7: Compare and contrast a text to an audio, video, or multimedia version of the text, analyzing each medium's portrayal of the subject (e.g., how the delivery of a speech affects the impact of the words).
• RI.7.8: Trace and evaluate the argument and specific claims in a text, assessing whether the reasoning is sound and the evidence is relevant and sufficient to support the claims.
• 6/7.L.2: Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.
Check out these other TNReady Resources:
3-Week Project Bundle: UN Summit on Social Issues Persuasive Speech, Paper, and PPT
TNReady Item Sampler Alignment and ALL TEACHING GUIDES for Middle School ELA
TNReady Main Idea & Central Idea Lesson and Guided Practice
TNReady Need to Know: Resources & Test Overview
Author's Craft & Rhetorical Devices Anchor Chart + Foundational Student Handout
(Written by Middle School Writer, Mara Truslow. Copyright 2016.)