This fun and interactive game of Jeopardy includes 5 categories of questions (based on passages) with 25-aligned TNReady ELA questions for Middle School.
This bundle comes with the Jeopardy PowerPoint and student answer materials with directions, Jeopardy points, and passages.
Push student rigor, get students immediately ready for TNReady by giving them immediate exposure to questions, and make it FUN!
• Jeopardy PPT with 30 Slides
o Overview Slide
o Jeopardy Board w/ Hyperlinks to all 25 questions (in 5 categories)
o Answers to questions are on slides and appear with a mouse click
o Passages are included before question sets and are also in student materials
o 5 categories that cover Reading Informational Texts and Writing standards aligned for Middle Grades TNReady test administered in April 2016.
o Questions are sorted into 5 categories:
• Grammar Guru: Grammar questions on the TNReady test appear in context; these questions do as well. There is not a passage for this category. Questions range from pronoun usage and subject-verb agreement to prepositions and revising for clarity.
• Fort Bridger: These questions are aligned to the “James ‘Jim’ Bridger” passage. These questions are aligned to the “James ‘Jim’ Bridger” passage. They cover reading standards with multiple question types.
• Wild West: These questions are aligned to the “James ‘Jim’ Bridger” passage. They cover reading standards with multiple question types. This is a rich text, so two categories aligned to the passage are included in the game.
• Firebird Tea Time: These questions are aligned to “The Osage Firebird” about a Native American ballerina. The question types are aligned to RI standards.
• Tea Time: These questions are aligned to “Tea, Delicious Tea,” which is an explanatory text. These questions are aligned to RI standards.
o Each category includes different question types (i.e. multiple choice, multiple select, classification, etc.) and increasing rigor by point value.
• Student Materials (9 Pages)
• Overview of game and directions for playing
• Table to add up points for each
• A page for each category of Jeopardy with a space for each question to write the correct answer and explain why it is correct
• Passages for each category that students can annotate for main idea & use as a quick reference when answering questions
• Teacher Version of Student Materials (9 Pages)
• Student materials with correct answers and teaching notes/ directions provided in Microsoft Comments.
• Correct answers for questions are filled in on the tables and can be used as a quick reference when teaching.
• Microsoft Comments provide tips, implementations guides, and additional ways to effectively utilize the materials.
How Does it Work:
This Jeopardy game can be implemented in myriad ways. To read all passages and answer all questions, budget about 3 hours. You can use it strictly as a review game before an Informational Text Test. You can use the game as a set of bell ringers, which is easy to manage because students are answering each question in their student materials packet. You could assign reading the passages as homework and play the game more quickly in class.
The PPT is ready to open and implement in your classroom. The Jeopardy board is hyperlinked to each question, and clicking the mouse brings up the answer to every question. If you don’t want to print copies of the student materials, the passages are also included in the PPT before the category’s questions.
Student materials are provided as a PDF and Word file, so you can opt to modify the format for your classroom, or you can elect to print and copy.
The Teacher Version of the student materials has the answers in each table, so you can quickly keep track of what questions you have/ have not used in each of your classes. All teaching notes and an implementation guide are provided in Microsoft Comments.
Note that the standards largely reflect 7th grade standards. This set of questions uses passages from all grade levels and lines of questioning used across grades. This bundle is appropriate for all middle grades.
The standards included are (these are aligned to TNReady and the national Common Core Assessment):
• RI.7.1: Cite several pieces of textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
• RI.7.2: Determine two or more central ideas in a text and analyze their development over the course of the text; provide an objective summary of the text.
• RI.7.3: Analyze the interactions between individuals, events, and ideas in a text (e.g., how ideas influence individuals or events, or how individuals influence ideas or events).
• RI.7.4: Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative, connotative, and technical meanings; analyze the impact of a specific word choice on meaning and tone.
• RI.7.5: Analyze the structure an author uses to organize a text, including how the major sections contribute to the whole and to the development of the ideas.
• RI.7.6: Determine an author's point of view or purpose in a text and analyze how the author distinguishes his or her position from that of others.
• RI.7.7: Compare and contrast a text to an audio, video, or multimedia version of the text, analyzing each medium's portrayal of the subject (e.g., how the delivery of a speech affects the impact of the words).
• RI.7.8: Trace and evaluate the argument and specific claims in a text, assessing whether the reasoning is sound and the evidence is relevant and sufficient to support the claims.
• 6/7.L.2: Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.
Check out these other TNReady Resources
TNReady Item Sampler Alignment and ALL TEACHING GUIDES for Middle School ELATNReady Main Idea & Central Idea Lesson and Guided Practice3-Week Project Bundle: UN Summit on Social Issues Persuasive Speech, Paper, and PPT
Author's Craft & Rhetorical Devices Anchor Chart + Foundational Student Handout
TNReady ELA Mastery Tracker
(Note: These questions are closely related to the TNReady Bellringers Bundle in my store.)
(Written by Middle School Writer, Mara Truslow. Copyright 2015.)