****NOW also includes a DIGITAL version for Digital and Online Learning! Both Google Classroom and SeeSaw access***
These Google Classroom slides are perfect for Distance Learning, Differentiation, Blended Classrooms, teaching basic Technology Skills, and getting started with back to school SCIENCE learning about traits and classification!
Knowing how to classify living nonliving things, is an important skill for scientists to learn! This is also a great introduction to teaching !
This packet can be used to identify plants, animals, and other organisms. It may be used to target several Next Generation Science Standards:
The goal is for students to learn how to use a dichotomous key, for basic classification: using similarities and differences among organisms. Can be used for STEM, STEAM, or Project-Based Learning!
How does it work?
There are two versions: a printable PDF and a digital version, which is entirely paperless. For the digital version, you will get a pdf, which contains a link to the Google Slides Resource.
Digital Version GOOGLE CLASSROOM includes:
Over 35 slides, which you will be able to assign to your students through Google Classroom. You can pick and choose the slides you wish to use for your students. Most slides have editable instructions/elements.
- Student Directions (2 pages)
- Brainstorming Traits (4 pages) both real images and clipart images
- Categorizing "Similarities & Differences" based on physical and behavior traits (12 pages.)
- Comparing & Contrasting organisms with Venn Diagrams (7 pages)
- Classifying in groups (2 pages)
- Sorting Practice (6 pages)
- Example of Dichotomous Key
- Digital Dichotomous Keys (2 pages)
- Feedback Rubric
Digital Version SEESAW includes:
The same digital activities, as listed above for Google Classroom version. These are separated into 5 different activities (assignments):
- Brainstorming Traits (4 pages)
- Similarities & Differences of Traits (12 pages)
- Begin to Classify (2 pages)
- Venn Diagrams (7 pages)
- Sorting Practice & Dichotomous Keys (9 pages)
Printable Version includes: (16 pages)
- an overview page
- pre- and post- assessment (can also be used to ENGAGE, if using 5Es)
- 2 answer keys for assessments (category suggestions)
- 2 pages of suggestions, ideas, images for instruction
- 1 dichotomous key flow chart (printable)
- 2 worksheets for brainstorming traits
- 2 pages of sorting cards for birds
- 2 pages of sorting cards for dogs
- 2 pages of sorting cards for insects
* Camera Tool to insert image
* Dragging elements
* Resizing image
* Text boxes
Thank you for visiting!
Feedback is greatly appreciated!
Copyright © 2020 Stacey Colegrove
All rights reserved by author. Permission to copy for single classroom use only. Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only. Not for public display.