"THIS IS JUST WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR" - TPT customer -
This Smart Board Notebook file breaks the book Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt into daily chunks. Each day, a different reading skill objective is addressed.
The lessons are structured as follows:
- Reading/thinking cycle through 2-4 (short) chapters
[ Each reading/thinking cycle includes Active Reading questions (connect, evaluate, predict, infer, etc) as well as the expected page numbers for the next chunk of text to be read. Page numbers are based on the Sunburst/FSG publication. ]
- Reading skill objective instruction/practice
- Word bank (vocabulary)
Note that the lessons assume that the teacher will read aloud some portions of the book and that the students will read silently, in class, other portions of the book. There is NO HOMEWORK expected. (Though a teacher is obviously free to create companion pieces for this file.)
Depending on reading skills and speed, some "daily" lessons may take two days. For example, some classes might take three days to get through the first two lessons, whereas most will take just two.
The last lesson in the Smart Notebook file is a text-to-text comparison between Tuck Everlasting, a bible passage, and the song "100 Years" by Five for Fighting.
Included is also graphic organizers for students to track characters and symbols throughout the novel. They are asked to copy a quotation from the book and write "what it means to me" under it.
The zip file includes:
- Tuck Everlasting.notebook (main file; Smart Notebook file)
- Tuck Notebook.pdf (PDF version of the main file)
- Tuck-Characters.pdf (graphic organizer)
- Tuck-Symbols.pdf (graphic organizer)
- Tuck-Vocabulary.pdf (simple vocabulary engagement activity)
- Tuck Answers.pdf (Answer key to many questions from the Notebook file)
NOTE: The main file in this package is a SMART NOTEBOOK file. If you do not have that program, I have also included a PDF version of that file.