Table Talk Times Two!, is a Verb-Centered Supplementary Program of Table Mats that complements and enhances any basic or core English Language Development (ELD) curriculum and/or Spanish Language Development (SLD) curriculum. It is ideal in a Spanish-English Bilingual Immersion setting to support the language development of its students who are acquiring proficiency in two languages in a collaborative model of instruction.
This unique supplemental program also serves as:
- A method of providing meaningful practice to achieve the goal of mastering the verb systems of English and/or Spanish.
- A verb-focused vehicle to make language come alive in a meaningful context of everyday, real-life situations.
- An innovative approach to foster teacher/student as well as student/student language interaction.
- A tool to practice the structure of language in a meaningful yet non-threatening way.
- A springboard to stimulate authentic language practice and usage through elaboration from a core set of statements.
- A template to build and expand oral and written language in English and/or Spanish through visually captivating table mats with cartoon drawings.
- An informal and flexible format to develop native oral language as well as native language literacy, and bi-literacy.
The challenge for students working with the table mats is to internalize the six core sentences on a table mat as a springboard or scaffold to reconstruct new sentences in the different verb tenses at their appropriate proficiency levels . Other challenges for students within any given sentence for all of the tenses will further involve changing the person as in first, second, third persons singular (I, you, he, she) as well as the plural forms (we, you plural and they), in addition to forming questions, negating statements, using the imperative and conditional and subjunctive moods, modals, and a myriad of other activities that will develop mastery in the manipulation and accurate use of the verb system of these two languages.