A 33 page 100% Common Core Aligned Literature Study Unit incorporating Graphic Organizers and Icons for the novel, The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo. A fantastic resource for teaching higher-level thinking in a general education English Language Arts classroom, GATE classroom, or to challenge your gifted and talented students in an enrichment RTI group!
Using D&C Icons, students reach the different levels of Depth of Knowledge and follow Common Core State Standards in English Language Arts by thinking beyond the text and reaching higher levels of thinking and learning.
33 Pages of Common Core ELA pre-reading and post-reading comprehension activities for Book the First through Fourth:
- Combined Graphic Organization Maps
- Depth and Complexity Icons
- Vocabulary words/phrases (identified for every chapter)
- Making Predictions
- Making Inferences
- Setting Influence and Setting Change
- Character Perspective
- Character Traits (Implied and Stated)
- Text Style Shaped by Point of View
- Text Structure Analysis
- Compare and Contrast characters
- Character Motivation
- Character Analysis
- Summarize Key Ideas
- Opinion Writing Skills – Response to Literature
- Summary Writing Skills – sequencing beginning, middle and end, finding key details, identifying main idea.
- Cause and Effect
- Reading Comprehension (questions after each chapter)
- 33 Pages of Pre/Post Reading Activities for each chapter
- 4 Pages of STUDENT SAMPLES!
- Graphic Organization Maps for sequencing events, comparing characters, vocabulary word study, character perspective, character analysis, and character description
- Combined Graphic Organizers for Making Inferences, Cause and Effect based on Point of View and Text Style, Summarizing Key Ideas, Character Motivation, Change in Setting, and Text Structure Analysis.
- Depth and Complexity Icon Prompt activities – Almost every page includes D&C Icon Prompts to encourage higher level thinking skills in reading. Also, includes blank boxes for students to draw icons and find textual evidence.
- Vocabulary Words for each Book
- Reading Comprehension questions for chapters 1-13.
- Student SAMPLES
- Whole Class Literature Study
- Guided Reading
- Partner Work
- Independent Work
- Pre-Reading and Post-Reading Vocabulary Comprehension Skills
- Summary Writing
- Higher Level Challenge Work
- GATE program curriculum ideas
* Does not include any images from the novel. This unit solely serves as a supplement to the novel.
You might also like:
Depth and Complexity Graphic Organizers - Task Cards for Common Core Literature
Purposeful Teaching Tools
Search Key Terms:
The Tale of Despereaux | Tale of Despereaux | The Tale of Despereaux Unit | Tale of Despereaux Literature Study | Tale of Despereaux Common Core Unit | Tale of Despereaux Novel Unit | Mouse and the Motorcycle Common Core | Tale of Despereaux Depth and Complexity | Tale of Despereaux for GATE | GATE Literature Study | GATE Common Core Literature | GATE Novel Study | Literature Unit | GATE ELA Unit | Author Study | Reading Response Log | Literature Response | Tale of Despereaux Reading Comprehension | Despereaux Unit | Literature Unit for GATE Students | Gifted And Talented Educators | GATE | GATE Unit | Common Core GATE Unit | Third Grade Literature Unit | Third Grade Common Core | Third Grade Common Core ELA | Third Grade Novel Unit | Grade 3 | Exclusion Brainstorming | Tale of Despereaux Vocabulary | Tale of Despereaux Common Core Aligned | Common Core Literature Study | Tale of Despereaux | Tale of Despereaux Reading Comprehension Common Core | Tale of Despereaux Common Core ELA | Tale of Despereaux Novel Study | Tale of Despereaux Response Log | Tale of Despereaux Response Journal | Tale of Despereaux Unit Study | Tale of Despereaux Novel Study Common Core | Depth and Complexity Literature Unit | Depth and Complexity Reading Unit | Author Kate DiCamillo | Kate DiCamillo Unit | Kate DiCamillo Unit | DiCamillo