Want a terrific way to start off the school year with your new fourth graders? How about reading Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing by Judy Blume! Of course, you will want to help your students build their Tier 2 vocabulary as they read the book, and that’s exactly what this product will do!
Vocabulary is not learned in a single week. Students must interact with words in a variety of ways numerous times throughout the school year. Although most literature study packets contain vocabulary words, the necessary exposure and practice to the words are not usually provided. As a result, I have designed these practice worksheets that will require students to process word meaning in a variety of ways.
• EXAMPLE/NON-EXAMPLE requires students to select one of
two situations that best describes the target word or would be
associated with the target word.
• For the activity, WHICH ONE?, students must choose one of
two choices which they believe best answers the question
and explain why they have made this choice based on their
knowledge of the target word.
• FINISH THE SENTENCE is a writing activity in which
sentence stems using the vocabulary words are provided, and
students must complete the sentences. This requires
students to incorporate the word’s meaning into a particular
• RACE THE CLOCK challenges students to decide whether the statements are true or false. Students are given one and a half minutes to complete the activity. The time requirement helps students to respond quickly to the meaning of the words.
Also included in this product:
• Teaching tips for reinforcing vocabulary meaning throughout
• Common Core Connections
• Student Objectives
• Word Lists with definitions
• Answer Keys
Thank you for considering this product.
If you are interested in a more comprehensive product, click here to view Tales of a 4th Grade Vocabulary Bundle.
Sail to my store for more Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing Vocabulary treasure!
The Pirate Queen