NOTE: Our entire "Talk To Me" series is bundled with "Talk To Me" Video Guide (with Game MEGA Bundle) - Teach The Language of Math!
Language (how we use words, numbers and sounds to communicate) and discourse (verbal expression in speech and writing) are more important than vocabulary (knowledge of words).
Similarly, numeracy (being able to communicate using numbers (and number sentences)) is more important that rote (repetitious) memorization of calculations.
"Talk To Me" is a game show (in the tradition of Taboo and Pictionary) that helps teams of contestants to build language, discourse, and numeracy skills by providing correct answers formed from number sentence clues presented by a single teammate.
For example, a clue giver who sees the number 80 – and the operator ‘X’ (multiplication) – on their card (or screen) can say (or write) “20 times 4”.
If their teammates respond “80” – then their team scores a point!
Teams take turns giving and guessing clues for 1-2 minutes per round. The game host and commissioner decide the actual length of each round, as well as the number of rounds per game. At the end of the game, the team that provides the most correct answers wins!
Required Materials & Suggested Roles
- Talk To Me card sets (DOWNLOADABLE ZIP FILE - INCLUDES RULES!)
- Whiteboard with markers (one for clues, one for scorekeeping)
- Egg timer (30-90-second) or watch
- Commissioner (peacekeeper)
For maximum flexibility, the game cards are bundled in the following versions ...
1. VERSION 1 - One card per page (476 cards total). To avoid the expense of printing 476 unique cards, purchasers may display the cards sequentially on a large computer monitor or smartboard.
2. VERSION 2 - One card per page, 50 cards per set, 9 sets (450 cards total). Purchasers may display the cards sequentially on a large computer monitor or smartboard in smaller groups.
3. VERSION 3 - 10 cards per page, 48 pages (476 cards total). Purchasers must use a laser or inkjet printer to print their card set on Avery 8371 perforated business card stock, which yields 10 cards per page.
Check out these other "Talk To Me" versions and resources ...
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.