Tall Tales Reading Comprehension | Pecos Bill passages and questions
American folktales are a fun component of Common Core State Standards. Incorporate these wacky, student-friendly tidbits about Pecos Bill into your tall tale reading, writing and language lessons (or speech/language therapy sessions!)
These passages are just the right size to keep readers of all skill levels engaged and to keep struggling readers from becoming frustrated. For nonreaders, this can be used as a great listening comprehension activity!
* Includes 20 short passages discussing all kinds of fun facts and background about the Pecos Bill Tall Tale with 2-4 corresponding critical thinking questions per passage.
- Students can read passages independently (silently or aloud) or passages can be read aloud by teacher or therapist. For non readers, an adult should read the cards and the students can respond.
- Questions require students to use skills ranging from simple recall, making personal connections to deciphering vocabulary in context, drawing conclusions, making inferences, giving opinions, identifying figurative language and justifying responses. A whole range of critical thinking skills can be applied! Although the passages can be used in any order, they are numbered in the recommended sequence.
- Literature circle forms for the “jobs” of “connector, summarizer, and predictor.”
- Character trait writing activity
- Teaching tool/reference tool that explains how tall tales came about as well as characteristics that tall tales have in common
Just print, cut and use! No wasted paper!
Thank you for considering my products!
⚫ Find more from me at my ➔ Website ➔ TpT ➔ IG ➔ FB ➔ YouTube ➔ Free Resource Library ➔ Pinterest