Fundations® Unit 6 level 1 compatible
Activities to support the second edition Fundations® program
This pack includes a variety of activities to support the skills practiced in Fundations® Unit 6 of the level 1 (second edition) program. I have created these exercises to support student understanding of the suffix -s introduced in Unit 6, as well as, reinforce the skills from units 1-5.
Included are practice worksheets covering the trick words, identifying word parts, spelling words, scooping sentences, showing comprehension, real vs. nonsense words, word/picture sorts and word hunting (in books or in the classroom) activity sheets. I have used these as reinforcement and as extension activities for both strugglers and high achievers. Please note that in the footer of each activity I have noted which week the activity can be used. For example, unit 6 week 2 should only be used in the second or third week of the unit. I hope this helps with your planning a bit. Answer keys are included for your reference or for students to use to check their own work.
The pack includes:
* 2 activity sheets for spelling out words based off of pictures. Please note there is less emphasis on tapping from this unit forward in the program (answer keys included).
* 2 activity sheets for sorting out groups of words based off of their parts or meaning. These are different from the sorts that you cut apart (see thumbnail for an example and answer keys included).
* A student sorting activity identifying pictures with 's' suffix sound and those with the 'z' sound (see thumbnail example of the answer key).
* A student sorting activity identifying the meaning of words with the suffix -s. This sort considers plural words vs. action words (answer key included).
* 1 activity sheet practicing reading real words vs. nonsense words and practice with sentence writing.
* 2 activity sheets for practicing unit trick words (answer keys included). Help kids practice reading, context clues and trick word spelling all in one. These pages also include mystery letter boxes to help struggling students "see" the word shapes.
* 2 Roll and Write Gameboards for practicing unit trick words.
* 1 activity sheet for practicing scooping sentences (answer key included).
* 6 activity sheets for word hunting. There are 3 sets of activities in this pack. Each set has one page that tells students to go on a word hunt in books and one page to go on a word hunt in the room. This is similar to the activity "write the room." Each activity has students search for two kinds of words. For example: Search the classroom for words that have bonus letters and words that have the suffix -s. Write the words that you find in the correct group. Students can do this in partnerships or on their own. It also makes a great center activity.
* 1 activity sheet to practice the super tricky trick words "where" vs. "were" in sentences (answer key included).
* 1 page identifying baseboards and the suffix s. This page challenges students by also including words with bonus s (answer key included).
* 1 comprehension activity sheet for students to practice reading and showing comprehension through drawing what they envision.
* Verb Vocabulary Cards - This set of flash cards are unit words (all verbs) to grow student vocabulary or practice reading words. You might also laminate the cards and use them in the word of the day work or as quick read flash cards at the end of the unit.
* Story Elements Templates for Teaching - Character, setting and main events to go with the unit story (2 versions - with picture support and with picture/definition support). I laminate these and use dry erase marker on them for every unit of Fundations. They are also great for simple story retelling.
* Story Elements Page for students - character, setting and main events to go with the unit story (2 versions - with picture support and with picture/definition support). These help students start to jot and organize their answers on paper.
You can also buy the ENTIRE YEAR discounted bundle pack (all units 1-14 to support the Fundations program) here:
Tap It Out Level 1 Year Long Bundle
I hope that this support pack will help your students in a variety of ways. More than anything I hope it helps you!
Please consider leaving feedback on this product. It will get you credit towards more products on Teachers Pay Teachers. Better yet it can get you some of my future Tap It Out units for free!
Please consider following my page as I have products for units 1-13 of the level 1 Fundations program, as well as, most units for the level 2 program completed. If you have any questions or concerns about this product please send me a message and I will do my best to make things right.
Please note: This product is an independent product and is not affiliated with, nor has it been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Wilson Language Training Corporation. WILSON®, Wilson Reading System®, Fundations®, Just Words®, and Wilson Fluency® are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of the Wilson Language Training Corporation.