Fundations® Unit 8 level 1 compatible
Activities to support the second edition Fundations® program
This pack includes a variety of activities to support the skills practiced in Fundations® Unit 8 of the level 1 (second edition) program. I have created these exercises to support student understanding of blends and reinforce the skills from units 1-7.
Included are practice worksheets covering the trick words, identifying word parts, spelling words, scooping sentences, showing comprehension, real vs. nonsense words, word/picture sorts and word hunting (in books or in the classroom) activity sheets. I have used these as reinforcement and as extension activities for both strugglers and high achievers.
Please note that in the footer of each activity I have noted which week the activity can be used. For example, unit 8 week 2 should only be used in the second or third week of the unit. I hope this helps with your planning a bit. Answer keys are included for your reference or for students to use to check their own work.
The pack includes:
* 3 activity sheets for tapping and spelling out words into their parts based off of pictures (see thumbnail answer key for an example).
* An activity sheet for spelling words (both singular and plural) based off a picture (answer key included).
* An activity sheet for identifying word parts by color and marking up words (answer key included).
* An activity sheet identifying real versus nonsense words.
* 4 activity sheets for identifying the number of taps in a given set of words (answer keys included).
* 4 word hunt activity pages - these can be used in a variety of ways. Students can search the classroom environment for words, search a pile of books, look for word cards hung around the room, etc. These word hunts can be great to get the kids moving and talking about words.
* A student sorting activity with initial blends vs. final blends based off of pictures (answer key included).
* A student sorting activity identifying trick words versus words you can tap out (answer key included).
* A student sorting activity thinking about digraphs vs. blends (answer key included).
* 2 activity sheets - one for each week - practicing unit trick words (answer keys included). Help kids practice reading, context clues and trick word spelling all in one. These pages also include mystery letter boxes to help struggling students "see" the word shapes.
* A Roll and Write Gameboard for practicing unit trick words.
* 1 activity sheet for practicing scooping sentences (answer key included).
* 1 comprehension activity sheet for students to practice reading and showing comprehension through drawing what they envision.
* Verb Vocabulary Cards - This set of flash cards are unit words (all verbs) to grow student vocabulary or practice reading words. You might also laminate the cards and use them in the word of the day work or as quick read flash cards at the end of the unit.
* Story Elements Templates for Teaching - Character, setting and main events to go with the unit story (2 versions - with picture support and with picture/definition support). I laminate these and use dry erase marker on them for every unit of Fundations. They are also great for simple story retelling.
* Story Elements Page for students - character, setting and main events to go with the unit story (2 versions - with picture support and with picture/definition support). These help students start to jot and organize their answers on paper.
I hope that this support pack will help your students in a variety of ways. More than anything I hope it helps you!
Please consider leaving feedback on this product. It will get you credit towards more products on Teachers Pay Teachers. Better yet it can get you some of my future Tap It Out units for free!
Please consider following my page as I have products for units 1-13 of the level 1 Fundations program, as well as, most units for the level 2 program completed. If you have any questions or concerns about this product please send me a message and I will do my best to make things right.
Please note: This product is an independent product and is not affiliated with, nor has it been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Wilson Language Training Corporation. WILSON®, Wilson Reading System®, Fundations®, Just Words®, and Wilson Fluency® are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of the Wilson Language Training Corporation.