Fundations® Unit 9 level 1 compatible
Activities to support the second edition Fundations® program
This pack includes a variety of activities to support the skills practiced in Fundations® Unit 9 of the level 1 (second edition) program. I have created these exercises to support student understanding of beginning and ending blends, open and closed syllables, as well as, reinforce the skills from units 1-8.
Included are practice worksheets covering the trick words, identifying word parts, spelling words, scooping sentences, showing comprehension, real vs. nonsense words, word/picture sorts, vocabulary cards, and much more. These can be used whole class, as small group review, homework, centers, or however you see fit. They are intended to support strugglers, as well as, challenge high achievers through activities such as the Explain It pages.
Please note that in the footer of each activity I have noted which week the activity can be used. For example, unit 9 week 2 should only be used in the second or third week of the unit. I hope this helps with your planning a bit. Answer keys are included for your reference or for students to use to check their own work.
The Unit 9 pack includes:
* 3 vowel team practice reading pages. Students are introduced to vowel teams in this unit and these pages give them lots of practice reading words with the teams ai, ay, ee, ea, oi and oy. (ey was not included because I wanted to make all words easy to read).
* 2 activity pages for students to practice tapping out the parts of a word and then drawing an example of the word (see thumbnail for an example - answer keys included).
* A practice sheet for marking up words and identifying closed syllables (answer key included).
* 2 activity sheets for identifying the number of taps in a given set of words (answer keys included).
* A student sorting activity with open syllable words vs. closed syllable words (answer key included).
* A student sorting activity identifying trick words versus words you can tap out (answer key included).
* 2 activity sheets - one for each week - practicing unit trick words (answer keys included). Help kids practice reading, context clues and trick word spelling all in one. These pages also include mystery letter boxes to help struggling students "see" the word shapes.
* A Roll and Write Game board for practicing unit trick words and an optional sentence writing page which can be copied onto the back of the game board.
* An advanced activity sheet for students to color the cards (pink, yellow or green) but not include the letters themselves of a given word (see thumbnail example - answer key included).
* 3 "Explain It" activity pages. Students explain in sentences why a word is an open or closed syllable word. (see thumbnail example - answer keys are included).
* 1 activity sheet for practicing scooping sentences (answer key included).
* 1 comprehension activity sheet for students to practice reading and showing comprehension through drawing what they envision (see thumbnail example).
* Verb Vocabulary Cards - This set of flash cards are unit words (all verbs) to grow student vocabulary or practice reading words. You might laminate the cards and use them with your word of the day work or as quick read flash cards at the end of the unit.
* Story Elements Templates for Teaching - Character, setting and main events to go with the unit story (2 versions - with picture support and with picture/definition support). I laminate these and use dry erase marker on them for every unit of Fundations. They are also great for simple story retelling.
* Story Elements Page for students - character, setting and main events to go with the unit story (2 versions - with picture support and with picture/definition support). These help students start to jot and organize their answers on paper.
I hope that this support pack will help your students in a variety of ways. More than anything I hope it helps you!
Please consider leaving feedback on this product. It will get you credit towards more products on Teachers Pay Teachers. Better yet it can get you some of my future Tap It Out units for free!
Please consider following my page as I have products for units 1-13 of the level 1 Fundations program, as well as, most units for the level 2 program completed. If you have any questions or concerns about this product please send me a message and I will do my best to make things right.
Please note: This product is an independent product and is not affiliated with, nor has it been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Wilson Language Training Corporation. WILSON®, Wilson Reading System®, Fundations®, Just Words®, and Wilson Fluency® are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of the Wilson Language Training Corporation.