Have your students close read Taylor Swift's new song "Shake It Off" while using the ELA CCLS! This close reading packet includes the following standards:
RL 6.1: I can cite textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text
RL 6.2 I can determine a theme or central idea of a text and how it is conveyed through particular details.
RL 6.4 I can determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative and connotative meanings; analyze the impact of a specific word choice on meaning and tone
The standards used are for 6th grade but can easily be adapted for grades 3-5 and 7-8!
Included in this packet:
1. Standards page.
2. Lyrics: Color and black and white.
3. A close-reading guide for annotations.
4. Two text-dependent questions that focus on theme.
5. Three text-dependent questions that focus on supporting a claim with evidence from the text.
6. Four text-dependent questions that focus on word meaning and figurative language.