Phonological therapy can be challenging and there is no ‘one therapy fits all’ approach. By utilizing a range of different learning styles (visual, auditory and tactile) and teaching specific metalinguistic concepts
(sounds can be ‘long’ or ‘short’), you can engage your students in hands-on, interactive learning that really involves the student at the START of your therapy treatment.
The Stopping Story is a lovely way to introduce the concepts prior to engaging in minimal pairs therapy.
By using visuals, auditory bombardment and discrimination you can get an idea about the child’s phonological system. These concepts are then carried throughout therapy and can help consolidate the process to other sounds. Upload this story on your iPad for a Phonological Story on the go or laminate and have on the table.
Visual, auditory and tactile activities are suggested so that therapy sessions can be dynamic. You can then introduce minimal pairs. Minimal Pairs cards (in color and blackline) are included for the following sounds:
F-B (9 pairs - 18 cards)
F-P (7 pairs - 14 cards)
V-B (7 pairs - 14 cards)
S-D (7 pairs - 14 cards)
SH-D (7 pairs - 14 cards)
Z-D (3 pairs - 6 cards)
CH-T (7 pairs - 14 cards)
J-D (7 pairs - 14 cards)
• Pg. 4-6: Visual, Auditory and Tactile pages with activities to help support the concept (e.g. use a stopwatch and time the length of different long & short sounds, use long and short lengths of string to categorise sounds you hear etc.)
• Pg. 7-9: Minimal Pairs word lists in initial and final position (with blank cards to draw your own)
• Pg. 11-13: ‘Long’ and ‘Short’ COLOR visuals and activity sheets to use as part of therapy
• Pg. 14-28: Minimal Pairs cards in COLOR
• Pg. 29-39: A ‘Stopping Story’ which introduces the metalinguistic concepts of ‘long’ and ‘short’ sounds handy to laminate and flip through. Opportunities for auditory discrimination and bombardment are provided
• Pg. 40-43: ‘Long’ and ‘Short’ BLACKLINE visuals and activity sheets to send home for carryover
• Pg. 44-58: Minimal Pairs cards in BLACKLINE - great to color or for homework
• 22 page NO PRINT story is included as a SEPARATE PDF so that you can upload to your iPad, tablet or computer
Please note that this is a zip file - so make sure that you have the software to open it. I hope you enjoy a refreshing and motivating way to work with phonology. If you are looking for some more stories and activities in this series you can grab:
☀ Follow Me ☀ Visit my Blog
see me on Pinterest