This product provides several strategies for working with students who self-injure. This packet can be used in a counseling group setting or working individually with students. The purpose of this product is to help students develop a safety plan packet. The pages in this packet include:
(1) page to identify emotions felt before hurting oneself, the causes of their intense emotions and how they hurt themselves.
(1) page to identify times in which using coping skills would be helpful or beneficial for the student. This page also helps students identify other coping mechanisms they have used besides self-injury. The goal of this worksheet is to identify the student’s personal resources and past successes using positive coping skills.
(1) Coping log sheet. This log sheet can be given to students to take with them in the event that they feel the urge to hurt themselves. It prompts them to answer how they are feeling, what caused their emotions, whether or not they have an urge to hurt themselves and what they are going to do to cope with their negative emotions. This log helps students keep track of times in which they felt the urge to self-injure, but chose not to. Encourage students to look back on this log when they feel the urge to self-injure.
(1) Healthy Coping Roll and Reply Game. This game can be used when working one on one with a student or with a group of students. The dice game helps students explore healthy coping strategies.
- This also comes with individual direction cards for the students and an answer sheet.
(1) Pros and Cons Worksheet. This worksheet prompts students to consider three coping strategies and weigh the pros and cons of each strategy.
(1) Support System Sheet. It is important for students to build a reliable support system. Therefore, this sheet asks students to consider who they can rely on when they feel the urge to hurt themselves. It requires students to list the names and phone numbers of trusted adults. At the bottom of the page it also prompts students to develop a plan in-case the people they listed cannot answer their phone.