* Created more counting boards 1-5, 106, 1-7, 1-8, 1-9, 1-10
* Added “My Total” page
* Added “Extra” page for students who want to use up all counters when creating a set.
* Teacher instructions for 2 activities: labeling sets and creating sets.
Teaching Counting to Non-verbal Students
* Teach one-to-one correspondence
* Teach that last number counted is total
* Use with any activity that involves counting
* Build on students’ existing matching skills
* Differentiated (up to 5, 8 or 10)
* Simplified non-distracting counting pages
* Great for students with disabilities, students with autism
I have not found many resources on teaching counting to non-verbal students. This is a hard concept to teach and to assess if a student is non-verbal. So I decided to create my own product based on how I teach my students to count. If your student is able to match, s/he is able to use these counting board and match the number of the total to a number card.
View a sample video of this product in use here.
In the video, I demonstrate using modeling, the sample as a visual cue, and vocal intonation as a cue for the student to understand when to stop placing counters on the mat.
Please let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions!
Visit my store
or check out some of my other products:
Common Items Sort
Household Items sort
Yes Mouth / No Mouth Behavioral Skills Cut-and-Paste
Nice Hands / Not Nice Hands Behavioral Skills Cut-and-Paste
AB Pattern Cut-and-Paste Winter Theme
HWT-Style Block Letter Capitals