Planning your next fiction reading unit will be a breeze with this "plug and plan" unit!
This unit focuses on the concepts and topics important to teaching fiction, yet can be used for any book, or even using multiple books. The unit is simple to customize for your class. Simply choose the book(s) of your choice, whether it be one chapter book, or several pictures books that you would like your students to read. Then, apply each lesson topic to the book you are reading.
The following concepts are taught in this unit:
1) Fiction vs. Nonfiction (introductory lesson)
2) Types of Characters
3) The Story Mountain (the structure of a fictional plot)
4) Point of View (1st person vs. 3rd person)
5) Finding a Theme
6) Types of Conflicts Found in Fiction
7) Character Development
8) Small Group Discussion (talking about the book!)
The unit is aligned with CCSS for grades 2-5 (outlined in each daily lesson plan). The lessons are shown in a suggested order, but could easily be rearranged to best support your book(s).
If using a chapter book, teach all 8 lesson with the same book.
If using picture books, use several books throughout the unit to teach each of the lesson. You can easily revisit previously taught concepts using each book.
The unit can also be used in a whole-group or small-group setting, depending on how your reading block is structured. Find lots of detail in this unit on how to teach this unit in a way that works for you!
The following resources are provided in this product to help you organize your unit:
1) 8 detailed teacher lesson plans (topics listed above) - Each lesson plan included the student objective, CCSS for grades 2-5, materials needed, teacher preparation instructions, and details on how to conduct each lesson.
2) Student activity packet (25 pages) - with activities to go along with every lesson. Pages can be used with any book!
3) 45 anchor slides provided in SMARTBoard, PowerPoint, PDF, and PNG image files to help teach each concept.
4) 48-piece EDITABLE bulletin board set to fit any book you are teaching!
5) 18 discussion prompt cards to be used in small group discussions about the book(s) you are reading with your students
6) Teacher planning guide templates to help you customize the unit for your specific book.
Use this unit over and over with different books! Check out the preview with a fabulous snapshot of everything you will be getting!
You may also be interested in my Teaching Nonfiction
Other reading units you may be interested in:
Donavan's Word Jar
Dear Mr. Henshaw
George Washington's Socks
Because of Winn-Dixie
This unit has a very similar layout if you would like to see how this fiction unit could be applied to a book!