Tired of students complaining about how useless quadratic equations and logarithms are? Well here's your solution. This unit is designed to teach students how they can use the math they learn in high school to manage their personal finances.
In this unit, you'll have the opportunity to teach the following topics
- The importance of saving for retirement
- Simple interest vs compound interest
- The impact of time on a long term investment
- How debt works and how to calculate payments and interest accumulated
- What a mortgage is
- The different kinds of terms you can get for your mortgage
- How to build a mortgage calculator
- Three assignments to help students practice their financial literacy skills
- Answer keys for those assignments
Please feel free to give any feedback that you think would be helpful. Or let me know if you used it in your classroom and how it went.