Need a month-long unit to review the parts of speech and conventional spelling rules and want to try a grade-level, no-prep, no-correction, minimal mess interactive notebook with your students? Here's the best!
And you won't have to buy supplemental worksheets, tests, or anything else. EVERYTHING IS INCLUDED! Directions are simple and you won't have to create your own interactive notebook. It's done for you.
The Teaching Grammar and Mechanics Interactive Notebook Grade 4 Spelling Rules and Parts of Speech Unit
will help your students master the Common Core parts of speech and conventional spelling rule standards. This rigorous, fun, and easy-to-teach interactive notebook is neither a fact-filled collection of boring lecture notes, nor a time-wasting portfolio of art projects. Here's what your students will master:
Spelling Rules / Parts of Speech
The Hard /c/ and Soft /c/ Spelling Rule / Proper Nouns
The Hard /g/ and Soft /g/ Spelling Rule / Common Nouns
The i before e Spelling Rule / Pronouns
The Final y Spelling Rule / Adjectives
The Silent e Spelling Rule / Verbs
The Double the Consonant Spelling Rule / Adverbs
The Ending “ion” Spelling Rule / Conjunctions
The Plurals Spelling Rule / Prepositions
Unit Test and Diagnostic Assessments
* Each of the 8 lessons focuses on one conventional spelling rule and one part of speech. Lessons designed in the interactive Cornell Notes format with plenty of online links to help students practice. Students are provided the full note-taking text and write only the examples from the teacher display. LESS time copying and MORE time learning.
Each lesson takes about an hour to complete.
* Each lesson has a practice worksheet to apply both the spelling rule and parts of speech. Students self-correct from answers on the display.
* Each lesson has two brief sentence dictations to formatively assess whether students have achieved mastery.
* Students read and respond to color grammar cartoons by master cartoonist, David Rickert.
Grammar in the reading context.
* Students complete a brief writing application of the grammar skill or rule. Grammar in the writing context.
* Students use their grammar and mechanics notes to label, color, cut, and glue or tape 3d graphic organizers
from the creative Tangstar templates. These foldables are perfect for review or use as a resource on tests.
* A color photo of the finished 3d graphic organizers for each lesson includes step-by-step directions to help students follow the model and work independently. No need to create a teacher INB; it’s done for you and for absent student make-up work.
* Minimal preparation and correction.
Just copy off three student pages and set out the materials. Students self-correct throughout every INB lesson and with the remedial worksheets to learn from their mistakes and save you time.
* Two biweekly unit tests with answers
assess definition, identification, and application of the spelling rules and parts of speech.
* Whole class diagnostic grammar, mechanics, and spelling rule assessments
test previous grade-level Standards. Progress monitoring matrices included.
* 8 targeted parts of speech worksheets and 20 targeted spelling pattern worksheets
to correspond to every test item in the diagnostic assessments and help your students “catch up while they keep up” with grade-level instruction. Students complete the worksheet practice, self-correct and edit from the answer booklets, take a brief formative assessment, and mini-conference with you to assess whether students have mastered the Standard.
We still offer our one volume traditional Teaching Grammar and Mechanics
program. Take a look if the interactive notebook is just not for you.
Check out my blog article here
on Ten Reasons to Use Interactive Notebooks. And please follow me for product updates.
Subscribe to the Pennington Publishing Newsletter for FREE assessment and teaching resources. Get our Diagnostic ELA and Reading Assessments (grammar and usage, mechanics, spelling, and 13 reading assessments)… all with answers and recording matrices upon sign-up.