Included in this file are five interactive, instructional PowerPoints and activities that are perfect for playing on the Smart Board or Promethean Board. This product was designed to teach phonics in short, meaningful chunks- just 15 minutes a day!
What is included?
This file includes five instructional PowerPoints covering the common vowel teams “OA,” “OE” and “OW.” The PowerPoints provide students with an opportunity to practice reading the teams and spelling them. The PowerPoints include:
• Day One: Introducing the Common Vowel Team “OA”
• Day Two: Introducing the Common Vowel Team “OE and OW”
• Day Three: Understanding and Using “OA,” “OE,” or “OW”
• Day Four: Reading Words with “OA,” “OE,” or “OW”
• Day Five: A Variety of Review Activities
After completing the PowerPoints with the whole group, students can apply the skill learned on a very short daily exit ticket. There are two formats of the exit ticket. In the first format, students will just complete a half-sheet worksheet. In the second version, students will complete a brochure (one section per day). All sections of the brochure will be completed by the end of the week.
What other activities are there?
A handful of activities to extend the learning are included. These could be used as independent work, morning work, centers, or station activities. These activities include:
• Picture flip book
• A foldable mini book
• Look and Circle worksheet
• Look and Sort worksheet
• Roll and Read worksheet
• A word list read with the teacher as an assessment is included as both an exit ticket and on the brochure.
• An additional worksheet assessment where students match the picture and fill in the blanks of the word is also included.
How do I use the PowerPoints?
In order to use these activities, you must have Power Point. I do not believe that the games can be played on a Mac.
Open the activity in Power Point. Some of the PowerPoints are simply slide shows that the students can interact with. However, others that require clicking and dragging are different. For these, DO NOT start as a slide show. Simply view the show in Edit Mode and click and drag the pieces to move. When the students are ready to practice the next slide, select the next slide from the window. Please note that since these slides must be viewed in Edit Mode, no answer key is included (so students can't see the answers before solving). Here is a “cheat sheet” to see when to use Presentation vs Edit mode.
• Day One: Introducing the Common Vowel Team OA- PRESENTATION MODE
• Day Two: Introducing the Common Vowel Team OE and OW- PRESENTATION MODE
• Day Three: Understanding and Using OA, OE and OW- PRESENTATION MODE
• Day Four: Reading Words with OA, OE and OW- PRESENTATION MODE
• Day Five: A Variety of Review Activities- PRESENTATION MODE for slides 1-6. EDIT MODE for the remainder of the slides.