Teaching Poetry with Shel Silverstein
- Easel Activity
What educators are saying
This fun resource guide is perfect for teaching poetry analysis while incorporating an author study of Shel Silverstein! It is part of a mega-resource 3-4-week teaching guide on poetry analysis, including music and song lyrics, that you can find HERE! The mega-pack also comes in a DIGITAL VERSION!
This Shel Silverstein mini-unit focuses on three of the author’s fun and engaging poems, with activity sheets that encourage your students to think critically about poetry and delve into figurative language. It also includes several non-specific activity sheets that can be used with any Shel Silverstein poem!
*Please note that due to copyright laws, poems are not included in the resource guide. Only poems published prior to 1923 can be legally reproduced in a commercial product.
Included in the guide:
• Teacher instructions for “Almost Perfect,” “Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout Would Not Take the Garbage Out,” and “Smart”
• Poetic Elements chart for “Almost Perfect” (with answer key)
• Finding Theme activity sheet for “Almost Perfect” (with answer key)
• Poetic Elements chart for “Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout…” (with answer key)
• Using Imagery illustration activity sheet for “Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout…”
• Making Connections adjective and poetry writing activity sheet
• Poetic Elements chart for “Smart” (with answer key)
• Poem Analysis – Making Inference for “Smart (with answer key)
Non-specific resources included that can be used with any Shel Silverstein poem:
• Poetic Elements chart for station or small-group activity
• Figurative Language chart for station or small-group activity
• Poem Analysis activity sheet (theme, summary, mood, tone, author’s purpose, imagery)
• Color-coded Poetry activity sheet
Click on the preview tab to see samples of what is included in the resource!
Please leave feedback and let me know how the product worked for you! You will earn TPT credits to use on future products! Follow my TPT store for updates on new products, discounted products, and sales. Click on the “Follow” tab on the top of the page! You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and the Mommy Is A Teacher blog for supplemental resources, ideas, flash freebies, and MORE!
You might also be interested in:
September Writing Prompts & Assessments: Narrative, Expository, Persuasive, & Poetry
Elements of Literature Foldables for Interactive Notebooks - Grades 3-8
The fine print:
Purchase of this product entitles the purchaser the right to reproduce the pages in limited quantities for one classroom’s use only. Duplication for multiple users is strictly prohibited without written permission from the seller. Multiple licenses are available for purchase in my TPT store at a discounted price.