Also included in
- This bundle of activities focuses on determining themes found in literary works. Some of the activities include test prep elements because theme questions tend to appear frequently on standardized tests. It is designed to teach upper elementary and middle school students how to analyze a reading pas$10.99$20.74Save $9.75
Teach students to determine a theme within a literary work. This 36-slide power point is an engaging product that can be used to introduce your entire class to the concept of themes in literature. **You will need the book "Because of Winn-Dixie" by Kate DiCamillo for reference.**
The PowerPoint contains the following format:
Slides 1-3: Introduction & Definition of Theme
Slides 4-8: Explanation of the creme-filled cupcake analogy (The theme in a book is "hidden", just as the filling in a cupcake is usually hidden beneath the surface.)
Slides 9-10: Identifying the theme in "Little Red Riding Hood"
Slides 11-15: Read TWO passages and identify the theme of each.
Slides 16-30: Identifying the themes in "Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
These slides teach the following elements of theme:
- A book's theme may be supported at various points throughout a book.
- A theme can be explicitly stated, but this is unusual.
- Usually, the theme must be inferred.
- Different readers might interpret the theme in different ways.
- Books can have more than 1 theme.
Slides 30-35: Read TWO short stories and identify the theme of each.
Slides 36-37: Conclusion
***A PowerPoint companion handout is also included in this file. As you advance through the PowerPoint, students can record their answers on the handout. The companion handout is available in both printable format or digital format. The digital version is compatible with Google Slides.**
Also, you DO have my permission to convert this PowerPoint to a Google Slides format to share with your students.
Please note: The PowerPoint cannot be edited due to the copyright requirements made by the contributing artists (clip art, font, background).
CHECK OUT THE PREVIEW!
Feel free to check out my other resources for teaching about themes in literature:
Copyright by Deb Hanson
This item is a paid digital download from my TpT store
This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher is prohibited. This item is also bound by copyright laws. Redistributing, editing, selling, or posting this item (or any part thereof) on an Internet site that is not password protected are all strictly prohibited without first gaining permission from the author. Violations are subject to the penalties of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Please contact me if you wish to be granted special permissions!