Focus in on the theme of a story with your students using these fun, practical passages. This pack contains ten passages specifically designed to teach students how to determine the theme of a story. Each single page story features a response sheet in which students will take a closer look at the central message behind each story.
Student response sheets cover a wide variety of answer formats. Students may respond to short answer questions or by filling in a graphic organizer. Many response pages require students to use text evidence to support their answers. An answer key is included for each passage.
These passages and response sheets can be used during whole group instruction, small group instruction, as morning work, or as homework.
Students will read literature and informational stories across many genres, including…
• Meet Sadako (World War II victim, biography)
• Patrick Anderson (Paraolympic athlete, biography)
• Alex's Lemonade Stand (victim of childhood cancer, biography)
• William Kamkwamba (African inventor, biography)
• Anne Frank (Holocaust victim, biography)
• The Swim Team (realistic fiction)
• The Basketball (realistic fiction)
• The Math Tutor (realistic fiction)
• The Ant and the Dove (fable)
• The Lion and the Fox (fable)
Click on the preview button for a closer look!
Visit my store for more close reading resources and ideas for teaching theme in your classroom!