Also included in
- Strengthen your students' comprehension by providing the necessary tools to help them master some of the most difficult literature standards: themes in literature / central message, character analysis, events, settings, and point of view / perspective. This print and digital standards-based bundle i$19.75$28.45Save $8.70
- Strengthen your students' comprehension by providing the necessary tools to help them master some of the most difficult literature standards: themes in literature / central message, character analysis, and point of view / perspective. This standards-based bundle includes many engaging activities th$19.75$28.45Save $8.70
- Determining theme and central message in literature is one of the most difficult standards to teach and master. Provide your students with the proper tools and resources that will ensure students' success using these two resources at 20% OFF. MUST SEE the individual previews of these two resources t$10.95$13.70Save $2.75
Teaching themes in literature has just been made easier! Let's face it, this is one of the most difficult standards to teach and for students to grasp. This toolkit provides you with all the essential tools and activities at your fingertips to help your students find themes in literature.
This theme & central message toolkit is chock-full of engaging meaningful activities relevant and valuable to your students' ability to independently determine theme and central message, as well as summarize stories during the process.
With so many resources, you can scaffold or differentiate your instruction the way you see fit to best meet your students' needs.
You must see the preview to get a closer visual of the many components in this toolkit!
If you need theme posters, check out these cursive alphabet posters with over 50 defined themes for students to reference throughout the year: Themes In Literature Posters, or get the bundle: Teaching Themes Bundle
Take a look below at what other teachers have to say about this essential theme and message resource!
In this toolkit, you get both in print and digital format:
✅ An introduction to teaching theme and message. This understanding is key to effective instruction that guides students in the right direction with this expectation.
✅ A colorful anchor chart that can be displayed all year and will become students’ go-to reference for helping them think about the big ideas and central messages found in the many stories they read.
✅ Theme Definition Mini-Posters- defining each theme (compliments the anchor chart)
✅ Student Bookmarks for theme reference
✅ Double-Sided Flipbook- can be used with any story using the Somebody, Wanted, But, So method for summarizing literature
✅ 2 Journal Response Prompts (4 student copies to a page)
✅Colored graphic organizers (for retelling and determining theme and message) Make them into a poster and laminate so you can be used as a tool for modeled lessons throughout the year. It can be reused with each read aloud lesson.
✅Blackline masters of the graphic organizers for student copies that can be used…
- ✍ during modeled lessons
- ✍ as a writing response task to your read aloud (once students have had practice with it)
- ✍ during students’ independent reading time (with self-selected stories)
- ✍ as they listen to a story at a center or online
- ✍ as a formative assessment task with any passage or story
✅ Readers’ Notebook Vocabulary templates for learning theme vocabulary such as compassion, perseverance, etc.
✅ Character Quote Bubble Activities- Students apply their knowledge of themes by creating character quotes
✅ 3 Mini-assessments to check understanding of theme vocabulary, identify themes of story scenarios, and a written response check for theme and message to be used with any story
✅ Open Response and Rubric that can be used with any story
✅ 3 completed story samples to have at your fingertips as you begin to guide students through the process during your modeled lessons. (, , & )
✅ Theme Vocabulary Activities to help your students grasp vocabulary through application and real-world connections
✅ 3 Center Task Activity: (scaffolded from knowledge-base to application)
- Matching Themes with Their Definitions
- Matching Themes with Character Quotes
- Matching Themes with Various Messages
Each center Task includes:
✏️ Center task directions for students (Colored Copy)
✏️ A set of Task Card Matches (in two versions: a colored version & a blackline version)
✏️ Student answer form (labeled with the common core standards)
✏️ Answer key
Note: The task cards are already mismatched on each page for your convenience. Copies can be given to students as is, and they can cut and match accordingly.
✨Visit my blog post for tips on teaching theme and central message.
PLEASE see the preview to view ALL the resources available in this toolkit.
Note: This toolkit provides multiple approaches to finding the theme & central message using questioning strategies, organizers, and activities that guide students' thinking.
❗ I highly suggest you preview these resources, as they go hand-in-hand with determining theme and central message:
See what other teachers are saying about this toolkit:
Carissa J. wrote- "This is an INCREDIBLE source for theme and message! It is the best one I have seen and I have researched a lot on what the most successful way to teach theme and the author’s message. My kids were so engaged during our week long focus on theme and message. 100% of my students were able to identify the theme and message of two stories on their Friday assessment. Thank you!!"
Danielle B. wrote- "Just like with your character trait resource, I LOVE your task cards. I use them whole group to introduce and practice the skill and then I keep them in our literacy center area, so the kids can revisit them more independently. I keep the posters hung while we are working on the concept and they are simple enough for the kids to really refer back to. This is a wonderful purchase!"
Virginia T. wrote- "I used this resource to help my students understand theme. The graphic organizers are wonderful! My students were able to track their thinking effectively and develop good theme statements. Great resource!"
Be the first to know about new discounts, freebies, and product launches:
- Follow Me to receive 50% OFF new resources during the first 24 hours of their upload. You will also receive email updates about this store and other resources available on my website.
- Subscribe to my website for engaging teaching ideas and to receive exclusive freebies.
- Follow me on Instagram for engaging activities and helpful teaching tips.
- Follow me on Pinterest for other teaching ideas.