If you are looking to teach or review theme with your students then this activity set is for you. Theme can be a difficult topic for students to understand, help them with this engaging exploration and active learning set.
Students can mind map around individual / different themes, categorize the importance of a number of themes, link themes to characters and events, explore different interpretations.
→ 2 pages of theme explanation
→3 pages of theme worksheets
→ 3 passages for theme study
→ 60 theme cards (hexagon shaped) – both color and b/w
→ 1 page of blank cards (hexagon shaped)
Each hexagon shows a different theme that can be found in literature. The themes are generic, but not all of them will be applicable to every text.
These cards are best printed in color and laminated.
How to use these in the classroom:
1. Use the theme explanation sheets to teach or review the idea of theme study.
2/ Use the theme examples sheet to have students write and collect their own examples of text (novels, short stories, play, poems, and films).
3. Use the 3 different passages to practise identifying themes.
4. Use the theme tree worksheet to explore how one theme is presented in a literary text.
5. Use the theme hexagon cards to match the text being studied. Find connections between themes. Place the theme hexagons on sugar paper and annotate around them with ideas and evidence from the text.
6. Use the theme hexagons and use as challenge cards to support reading activities, , annotation, discussion, or essay planning.
7. Use the single hexagon or three hexagon sheet to make notes following theme discussion of a text.
Take a look and see what buyers have said about my literature resources:
♥ “I'm excited to use this with my 6th grade Honors English students.” February 12, 2017
♥ “Great background information” January 23, 2017
♥ “My students loved this. Thanks!” January 16, 2017
♥ “Very well done. Great intro activity for all level classes.” January 11, 2017
Click individual product resources for more information on each one:
1.Introduction to Gothic
2.Literary Elements Posters
3.Character worksheets and foldables
4.Literature Task Cards
5.Text Annotation Strategies
Don’t forget to leave me feedback! You will earn TpT credits which means you receive discounts on your next purchase. And I do love receiving your feedback!
Follow my store to receive updates of all my new products and all my offers.
Thank you for visiting my store
at Literature Daydreams