A fun team building group survival activity to encourage interaction and teamwork among your young people. The chances of ‘survival’ depend on their ability to rank the salvaged items in relative order of importance. Important skills utilized: Communication, Cooperation and Compromise
- Lost at Sea PowerPoint (24 slides)
- Informational Handout
- Ranking Chart
1. Each student will take 10 minutes to decide their own rankings, and record their choices. Put a 1 for the item you think is most important for survival/rescue. Then a 2 for second most, all the way to 16.
2. After 10 minutes the students will partner up. Partners can be randomly selected or students can pick. The partners will discuss their individual choices and work together to agree on a collaborative list. Provide another 10 minutes for the new list to be created.
3. After 10 minutes each pair will partner up with another pair. The pairs will discuss their individual choices and work together to agree on a collaborative list. Provide another 10 minutes for the new list to be created.
4. The groups should work together, share their thoughts and ideas to create the final plan for survival.
5. Finally the students will present their plan to the rest of the class. There is not an exact right or wrong answer. However, the goal is to utilize and better understand the skills of: communication, cooperation and compromise.