Tears of a Tiger Chapters 1-20 (Pages 1-80) Activity Bundle
This is a very comprehensive 100 page bundle of instructional resources and activities related to Chapters 1-20 of the novel, Tears of a Tiger by Susan Draper. This covers pages 1-80 or the first half of the novel through the Chapter, “Black and White.” I have broken it into four parts and have provided Word and PDF versions as well as answer sheets for all activities. I have also provided a Microsoft Word Doc which explains the organization of the 8 parts of the bundle.
(I have included the entire Part 1 as a preview and free lesson)
This huge bundle includes,
1) Tears of a Tiger Active Reading Scavenger Hunts for Information for all 4 parts
These are active reading scavenger hunts with 24-32 questions where students actively hunt for information and analyze the text while they read the story. They also engage the students by enhancing enjoyment, and understanding. They focus on important events and twists in plot, vocabulary, and conflicts. They also highlight important examples of figurative language found in the story. My scavenger hunts are always a hit with my high school kids.
2) Two Word Detective/Word Attack vocabulary activities for Parts 1+2 and Parts 3+4
These are word detective-word attack and close reading Vocabulary Activities. Your students act as vocabulary detectives and use their word attack skills to determine the meaning of each new word in context. First students read actual passages and dialogues from the story and use contextual clues to determine the meaning and part of speech of each new word. They must provide at least one synonym for each new word. Then they use a thesaurus or dictionary to check their comprehension and find more synonyms for each word.
3) Four Tears of a Tiger Crossword Puzzles, one for each of the four parts
These are a challenging and comprehensive crossword puzzle related to the characters, events and vocabulary in Part 1 of this great novel,
I have included both the crossword weaver and PDF versions of the puzzle as well as an answer puzzle. It is very comprehensive and a great assessment activity
I have also included the crossword clues to make it easier to edit and recreate your own puzzle.
4) Tears of a Tiger Part Figurative Language Workshops, Worksheets for the first three parts.
a) This includes a figurative language workshop which teaches your students the concepts of figurative language such as simile, metaphor, personification, hyperbole, and synecdoche. It also has
3 figurative language quizzes and worksheets that use actual text from the story and contain about 75 examples of figurative language.
5) Follow-up Literature Circles Activity
This consists of a worksheet with follow-up questions focusing on Andy's second trip to the psychologist
6) Tears of a Tiger Character Poetry interpretation and Writing Activity and Graphic Organizer
This packet also contains a special poetry interpretation and writing activity and graphic Organizer. This activity and graphic organizer helps the students analyze the character poems. Then they write their own poems related to either the story or their own life. (Part 4)
8) A journal topic and follow-up writing assignment on Gerald's English essay, "If I could change the World." A copy of Gerald's essay is included. (Part 2)
9) A comprehensive step by step lesson plan which is aligned to the United States Common Core Standards and Benchmarks.
I don’t think that you will find a more comprehensive and fun bundle for this story anywhere.
This is only a part of my Tears of a Tiger Entire Activity Bundle which sells for only $8.99:and can be found here:
You can also access my store at