This 113-page resource for Sharon Draper's novels Tears of a Tiger, Forged by Fire, and Darkness Before Dawn will help students comprehend and analyze all three high interest texts! Check out the 29-page preview for a sample.
The resource includes 40 assignments, and each assignment has a graphic organizer to help students develop good reading habits as well as 7 analysis questions for the novel that cover a variety literary elements.
• Identifying main idea and support using details from the text
• Identifying and analyzing parts of plot – how elements of a story interact
• Identify conflict and types of conflict
• Analyze how conflict affects characters and creates suspense
• Analyze character and make inferences about character motivation
• Identify and analyze symbols for their deeper meaning
• Identify themes of the text and explain the lesson learned
• Analyze the effectiveness of flashbacks and foreshadowing
• Analyze setting and how it affects characters and conflict
• Analyze imagery, figurative language, and quotes to determine author's purpose
• And many more skills!
Now included is an answer key that also has a quiz question and answer for each assignment!
This resource is great for students that are reluctant to read to the students that need to be pushed. The graphic organizer requires students to perform tasks that every good reader does - ask questions, make predictions, make connections, find the main idea, and summarize. In addition to those tasks, students answer analysis questions related to the novel.
There is also space for a Do Now or Mental Meditation the next day and a daily reading quiz. The Do Now for each assignment is blank so that you can customize for your classroom. It will help you and the students stay organized. The organizer in the beginning is an additional responsibility sheet. If students do their homework they get a stamp that acts as an additional homework grade! Students love to get a completed sheet.
After students have completed all 40 assignments, their ability to analyze a text will be unmistakable!