Meet the needs of ALL students with this differentiated close reading for Edgar Allan Poe's ”Tell Tale Heart”. Using this resource, your students have an opportunity to analyze and understand Poe's use of tone and mood! The close reading passages allow you to concurrently instruct at all levels of student proficiency. Each close reading is standards aligned and provides an objective, skill focus, and text-based questioning.
This resource can be completed on paper or online with laptops, Chromebooks, tablets, or any device that supports Google Drive. The included Teacher's Guide includes access to the link that will allow you to make your own copy of the resource for use in Google Classroom/Google Drive.
WHAT TEACHERS ARE SAYING ABOUT THIS PRODUCT:
♥ Great product! Love the differentiation! Thank you!
♥ This was the perfect differentiation for my class, while reading the exact same material!
♥ Great resources that made differentiation so easy!
INCLUDED WITH YOUR PURCHASE:
- Teacher's Guide: The Teacher's Guide includes helpful tips for implementing the lesson. Common Core standards that align with this lesson are also listed.
- Advanced Close Read: Students complete three readings of the "Tell Tale Heart" text. The first reading is done independently, using symbols for active reading. The second reading is completed with a partner. Students work with vocabulary, identifying meaning using context. The final reading of the text focuses on tone and mood, requiring students to highlight words and phrases that contribute to both.
- Intermediate Close Read: The intermediate close reading is set up much like the advanced, but the "Tell Tale Heart" excerpt is shorter and contains a picture. The active reading symbols are included, and a cloze paragraph is provided for the text-based question.
- Emerging Close Read: The emerging close reading further scaffolds the lesson. The active reading symbols are provided, vocabulary is bolded, and students are required to write a one-sentence summary based on the "Tell Tale Heart" excerpt provided.
- Answer Keys: Student answers will vary throughout each of the close readings, but possible answers have been included for use as a reference or if a substitute is completing the lesson with your students.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN:
"Tell Tale Heart" Comic Book Assignment- Students Create Their Own Comic Book!
"The Cask of Amontillado" Activities - Focus on Literary Devices
All About Pumpkins - Differentiated Reading & Writing Unit
Want a FREE resource each month? Click HERE to follow Literacy in Focus, and you will be sent the monthly freebie!
©Literacy In Focus
♥ Instagram ♥ Facebook ♥ Blog ♥ Pinterest