'TEN FRAME GAME'
Two students use Ten Frame cards to play a card game to make 'friends to 10' or 'friends to 20'.
What You Need:
2 - 4 Players
3 sets of 0 to 10 cards
2 sets of 0 to 20 cards
How to Play:
1. The person who had the last birthday is the dealer.
2. Dealer shuffles the cards, gives 6 cards to their opponent and 6 cards to them self.
3. Dealer places the deck face down in the center of the playing surface.
4. Player 2 places a single card face up in the playing area and takes a card from the face down deck and puts it in their hand.
5. The next player looks at the cards in their hand to see if they can play a card to take the total to ten.
6. If they can make ten they play their card and take the pair. If they can't make ten they pick up a card from the face down deck.
7. Play continues in this fashion until no cards remain in the face down deck.
Quick Example Hand:
Player Two lays down a 7. The dealer must either...
a) play a 3 to bring the total to 10 and take both cards from the table
b) if they can't make 10, they must pick up a card from the face down deck, add it to their hand and then becomes the other player's turn.
- When a player picks up a card and it happens to Make Ten with the card on the table, can it be played immediately or do they have to wait for the next turn?
How to Win:
Once the cards run out, students count how many cards they won throughout the game. The person with the most cards is declared the winner.
The Ten Frame is designed to show Facts to 10 by sight i.e. 7 squares covered and 3 squares uncovered equals 10 and so on.
How will you encourage students to use knowledge of the Ten Frame set out to make playing the game 'easier' / more efficient?
How will you encourage efficient counting strategies eg by twos? by threes?
The technical name for seeing how many are in a group without counting them is 'subitizing'. Will you introduce the term to the students? If yes then why? If no, then why? What does the research say?
NB I have included the operations symbols in this download as well. They are not needed for this game but will enable you to re-purpose the game cards.
Please Note: This game is included in my MEGA BUNDLE!
- The package includedsALL
the Math and Literacy games currently in my store PLUS
every resource I create for the next YEAR
It's like a great classroom resource that just keeps on giving. :-)
CLICK HERE to see the Mother Load :-)