This activity contains ten sets (labeled sets A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I, and J ).
Each set of made up of five cards (numbered 1,2,3,4 and 5).
Students should be placed into groups of 5 and each student is assigned a number from 1 to 5.
Suppose you decide to use just one set of cards such as Group A.
- Cut the five cards apart and give each student their appropriate problem number.
- In addition, give each first student in a group a recording sheet.
- On the starting signal, each student can begin to work their problem.
- When student 1 completes their problem, the answer is placed on the recording sheet and passed to student 2.
- Student 2 uses the answer from student 1 for the value of K in their problem. When student 2 finishes their problem they record their answer on the recording sheet and passes it to student 3.
- This procedure continues until student 5 records their answer. At this point student 5 shows the recording sheet to the teacher.
- The first group with the correct answer on question will be the winner.
The cards review the following topics in Calculus and AP Calculus:
- Derivative of a function at a point,
- Bounded Area
- Instantaneous Rate of Change
- Definite Integrals
- Average Value of a Function
- Average Rate of Change
- Slope of Function at a point