TENS and ONES is a fun and engaging math activity that gives students the opportunity to:
• Count to tell the number of given objects
• Compare numbers
• Work with numbers to gain foundations for place value
• Extend the understanding of place value up to 99
In this activity, the teacher sets up each of the 8 stations with a predetermined number of items, keeping in mind the age and skill level of the class. Then, the students rotate to each station with their TENS and ONES recording page. At each station the student(s) will:
• Count and group the item into tens and ones
• Record the number of tens
• Record the number of ones
• Record the number in all
I've used the activity in my kindergarten, first and second grade classes and it is always a big hit. We end up doing the activity over and over again with different sets of numbers.
Please share your experiences! I love to get feedback on all of my products.
All the best,