Terrorism - an overview
Updated: April 2021: One hundred and seventy teachers have bought this product, geared for students in high school. I am an award winning, recently retired HS global studies teacher, now teaching in the Political Science Dept. of URI, and the Education Dept. of Salve Regina. Hence, I feel that I know my content well, and I also know a lot of successful teaching strategies which assist me in conveying said content. (See my profile)
This power point includes 75 thought-provoking slides which lend themselves to lots of classroom discussion. The slides from the preview are from various parts of the power point presentation. There are notes for the teacher below most of the slides.
The essential question for the students is to define terrorism - a task which is much harder than at first glance.
Questions brought up in the process:
1) Does Islam promote terrorism?
2) Are all terrorists Islamic? Are they more likely to be Sunni or Shi'a?
3) What does the Koran have to say on this subject?
4) Are there examples of "Christian terrorism"?
5) Can a government be accused of terrorism? Was US treatment of Native Americans in the 1600s - late 1800s a form of terrorism?
6) What were the complaints of Osama bin Laden?
7) How far has Al-Qaeda and ISIS spread?
8) Were George Washington and Nelson Mandela terrorists?
9) Are violent White Supremacists terrorists?
If you like my style and substance, check out my other 75 products on Teachers pay teachers (TpT) at my TpT "store": 21st Century Global Studies. Here are some of my products: ISIS, Islam - you'll be surprised, Syria, Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Iran, Libya, Central American migration to the USA, Guatemala, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras, Botswana, Somalia, Comparative Electoral systems, UN Simulations on Capital Punishment, Drug Trafficking, Climate Change and Syria, Democracy, Communism, North Korea, Bhutan, Finland and more!