Truly, I tell you this book is an amazing combination of many topics. The science fantasy genre is wonderful in its ability to spike the students' interest in science and creativity! Learning about the real inventor, Nikola Tesla while reading the fictional book is a huge plus. Shusterman and Elfman have worked to weave a story of facts and fiction together that our student's critical thinking skills will be tested!
Written at a sixth grade reading level, it is fast paced and the suspense builds into two climaxes (according to the authors' discussion)!
Included in the 111 page student study guide and workbook is a comprehensive exploration of the book on many levels.
* Pre-reading activity and observations
* Research into separating facts and fiction in the story, so included are several non-fiction passages. Learning SCIENCE along the way!
* Finding the story plot and diagramming it with Exposition, Rising Action, Climax, Falling Action, and Resolution .
* Taking literature to its core, there are some activities for sentence diagramming also to enlighten the students at the foundational skills necessary for good writing.
* Character analysis
* Figurative language: Metaphor, simile, personification, hyperbole, idiom, etc.
* Imagery and sketching the language of the authors.
* Choice of three projects: Spiders, Weaving and Stars
* Cross word puzzles and word search of some vocabulary words.
*Critical thinking skills
*STEM: Science, technology, Engineering and Math are all included in the subject matter of this novel. Terms and vocabulary words will bridge those subjects into meaningful ideas for the students!
Writing skills will also be practiced as they write answers citing evidence in the text to support their answers.
An end-of-book short 30 question quiz is also provided.
A comprehensive answer key is included for your convenience.
Another novel the Neal Shusterman wrote is called, Scythe. It is a book for middle school students and this guided workbook can really help your reader become a more CRITICAL READER: Scythe Student Workbook for Guided Reading
Another popular book that the author, Neal Shusterman wrote is called Downsiders. It is another cool book with many interesting research work down by this author in his settings! Downsiders, Novel Study Guide