Answering Short Answer Questions
In this 5-day unit, students learn specific strategies to promote success on standardized assessments and daily practice. Students are exposed to test-taking strategies for short-response questions. During the mini-unit students develop and practice the “READ” strategy to promote thoughtful and thorough responses. Using the "READ" strategy students will be able to easily make an inference, claim, position or draw a conclusion based on their analysis of the text, and then provide two pieces of text-based evidence to support their answers. In addition, students will review and identify paragraph structure, practice the use of transition words and read and respond to 6 passages. Students stay actively engaged through small group, partner, and whole class learning activities.
Common Core State Standards:
- RI.1, RI.2, RI.3, RI.6, RI.10
- RL.1, RL.2, RL.6, RL.10
- W.1, W.2, W.4, W.10
In this unit, students will...
- Develop skills in reading comprehension
- Determine a central idea of a text and how it is conveyed through particular details
- Determine an author’s point of view or purpose of a text and explain how it is conveyed in the text
- Introduce claims and evidence clearly
- Develop ideas with relevant facts, concrete details, quotations, and examples
- Use strategies to answer short answer questions by restating the question, adding supporting details, and concluding responses
This detailed unit includes:
* Transition Word Sort (Categories and Words)
* Cooperative Paragraphs (9)
* Guided Notes
* Transition Words and Phrases
* Practice Transitions
* Paragraph Structure
* Paragraph Analysis
* READ Strategy
* Short Reading Passages and Short Response Practice (3)
* Long Reading Passages and Short Response Practice (3)
* Detailed Lesson Plans (5)
* All keys - guided notes and student work
This unit is also a part of the Test Prep Bundle
. The bundle is filled with the Answering Multiple-Choice Question Unit, Responding to Short Answer Question Unit, and Motivational Test Prep Resources. You can check it out HERE.
You may also like…
Listening Comprehension Unit
Speech Analysis Unit
--- Reading, Analyzing, Researching, Presenting
Interactive Poetry Lessons and Activities
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction