Make learning test-taking strategies FUN with this interactive PowerPoint. This includes 3 separate PowerPoints with 9 total strategies for general test-taking, reading, and math. Mac-friendly version included!
I recommend starting just with the first PowerPoint that introduces 4 tips that work for all multiple choice test areas. Later, you can introduce the two shorter lessons that focus on specific strategies for reading tests and math tests.. This way they can get familiar with the first strategies and won't be overwhelmed by too many strategies all at once (which might make them not remember at any all).
Overview of Test-Taking Strategies PowerPoint:
•Begins by explaining purposes of testing
•Overview of tips:
1) Be Physical Ready (sleep well, eat healthy breakfast, dress comfortably
2) Cross Out Answers (eliminate incorrect choices)
3) Skip & Return (skip difficult questions and return later)
4) Leave No Blanks (fill in all answers, even if you're unsure)
Each tip includes interactive portions, animations, and quiz questions.
Overview of Reading Test Strategies PowerPoint
1) Preview Question and Answers
2) Summarize (retell main points of a story in your head as you read)
Overview of Math Test Strategies PowerPoint:
1) Use Scratch Paper (encourages students to use scratch paper and not do difficult equations in their heads)
2) Find Correct Operation (underline clue words to find operation, and plug in answer to see if the it makes sense)
3) Double-Check Work (use extra time to check for careless errors)
Includes a set of 9 posters to help students remember the strategies with the option of a blue background or white background.
You may also be interested in:
Main Idea and Details
Problem and Solution