Ideal for preparing your fifth-grade students for state writing assessments and meeting new standards, this series provides scaffolded text-based writing practice with essential writing forms, such as:
· Cause and effect
· Compare and contrast
The 12 units provide activities that prepare students to complete text-dependent writing prompts.
Each unit begins with a unit focus and lesson checklist to guide students through the learning path, which includes:
· a dictionary page that introduces content words
· close reading of a leveled nonfiction article
· text-dependent comprehension questions to support understanding
· a graphic organizer to help students organize information from the article and plan their writing
· a text-dependent writing prompt
· a writing evaluation that guides students in evaluating their essay
Teachers will appreciate these additional resources and features!
· Downloadable home–school connection activities and projects help teachers encourage learning at home.
· Common Core State Standards correlations are located on each unit for easy reference.
· The reading level is provided to help identify appropriate texts.
· The suggested learning path helps teachers pace the lesson, and makes scaffolding easy!
The fifth grade content-area topics fall under these categories:
· Health articles
· How-to articles
· Science articles
· Social studies articles
Better Together! Nonfiction Writing and Text-Based Writing: Nonfiction
Nonfiction Writing introduces students to the elements of expository, narrative, and persuasive writing, while Text-Based Writing asks students to practice these nonfiction writing forms in text-dependent paragraphs and essays.