We must teach students to use all they have learned as readers and writers to respond to a piece of text and write a literary response. They must combine what they know as readers with what they have learned about writing for literary responses.
The intention of this study is for students to craft the critical thinking about their independent reading into a written literary response essay. Prior to completing this unit, students should have experiences in Shared Reading and Independent Reading and a variety of opportunities to jot their thinking and have discussions with partners and groups about their reading thinking.
Key Teaching Points:
• What is literary response writing?
• Sifting through my thinking notes and jots
• Narrowing down my thinking about my chosen book/theme/character/series
• Stretching our thinking
• Finding focus on my thinking about my reading
• Drafting my response
• Crafting an eye-catching lead
• Crafting an eye-catching ending
• Editing—Express Lane Edit
Any feedback about this product will be appreciated.
Please visit my literacy blog www.LiteracyTreasures.com