PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Strengthen your students' comprehension by helping them understand the importance and purpose of nonfiction text structures. This easily constructed, all-in-one resource provides multiple lessons using 5 nonfiction passages (detailed lesson plans and formative assessments included). All passages focus on one high interest topic. However, each passage utilizes a different text structure to present information. Through the passages and activities in this flipbook, students will explore the different organizational text structures of informational texts, how authors use a specific structure that is best suited for presenting ideas to the reader, and how the organization of these ideas helps the reader make connections between key details to determine the author’s main points or ideas. After completing the lessons in this flipbook, students can keep this anchor resource in their reading folders to use throughout the year as a reference to assist them with future activities that explore this standard.
This flipbook contains:
• A descriptive text structure passage- the physical features of a squid
• A sequential text structure passage- how a squid captures and eats its prey
• A compare & contrast text structure passage- similarities and difference between a squid and octopus
• A cause & effect text structure passage- how bioluminescence helps a squid survive
• A problem & solution text structure passage- the exploding population of squid
Each section of this flipbook contains:
• A description of the specific text structure and the purpose it serves the author when presenting information
• A list of signal words that help students identify that specific structure
• A passage that demonstrates that specific organizational pattern
• A graphic organizer specific to analyzing that text structure
For EACH section, students will:
• Read the passage
• Highlight specific details as per directions
• Circle signal words
• Complete a graphic organizer using key details identified by the highlighted text to make connections between these ideas
• Demonstrate understanding of the specific text structure by completing an exit slip
• Exit slip keys are included for possible answers.
Please see my free Text Structure Sampler to take a closer look at this resource.
See what other teachers are saying about this resource:
Heidi L. wrote- "Thank you! My students liked this flip book! A good resource that has all the text structures in one place! After we completed it, students glued it into their Reading Interactive Notebooks."
Marissa B. wrote- "This is amazing! Super helpful and clear for the students. This standard is such a hard one to find great resources for. Thank you!"
Julie W. wrote- "This is an excellent, well-planned and thought out resource. Exactly what I was looking for to assist with small group instruction. Thank you for your hard work."
Stephanie E. wrote- "This was a wonderful resource! My students (3rd grade) were very engaged and it helped to clarify different text structure we use. I also thought the exit slips were great to help me see where they were still struggling! Definitely a resource I will continue to use in the future."
Michelle I. wrote- "PERFECT for teaching text structure! It's the best resource I've found to help my students understand how to identify the text structure and explain why it was organized that way. The exit tickets were wonderful!"
My Learning Nest wrote- "This is an EXCELLENT resource for teaching text structure. It was perfect for explaining each text structure with signal words and examples of how to determine text structure within a text. I especially liked how each passage in the flip book kept the theme of squids. This was helpful for my students to focus on one topic but see the different use of text structures. Thank you!"
Going digital? This resource is also offered in digital format for the 21st century classroom! Click here to check it out: Nonfiction Text Stuctures Digital Resource .
Please visit my store for other instructional materials that intentionally teach common core standards and make planning any literature read aloud so much easier!
Needing some Ready-to-Go, detailed lessons to ignite your reading program? All you have to do is print and go!