Thank You M'am by Langston Hughes Short Story Bundle
This is a very comprehensive bundle of instructional resources and activities related to the short story, Thank You M'am by Langston Hughes. This unit was designed to give the teacher choice. I don’t expect that you will be able to use everything. These include,
1) Answering Questions with a Quote activity (open book quiz)
This is a complex activity which challenges students to not only answers the question, but to also support their answers with at least one quote or dialogue from the characters in the story. My students found this challenging, but very interesting! It makes them delve more deeply into the plot and conflicts of the story. This can be used either as a reading activity or as an open book test or quiz at the end of the story. There are 14 Answering with a Quote questions and answer sheets are also included.
2) A scavenger hunts for information activities: There are a total of 33 active reading scavenger hunt questions where students actively hunt for information while they read. This scavenger hunt is meant to enhance enjoyment and check for understanding. They are always a hit with my high school kids. Answer sheets are included.
3) A Comprehensive set of guide questions and Quotes activity
a) Students answer questions and analyze the significance of important quotes from the short story. Answer keys are included.
4) A vocabulary and figurative language.worksheet
5) A comprehensive crossword puzzle related to characters, events, vocabulary, and figurative language of the story.
6) An Elements of a Short Story Graphic Organizer: An active reading graphic organizer that helps your students identify and chart the literary elements in the novel as they read.
7) A complete text of this short story with an accompanying poem
Again I don’t think that you will find a more comprehensive and fun bundle on the Web.
You can also access my store at